Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another thread got me thinking. Just a short survey - how far does everyone travel to train, and how often? Now that gas is over $3 a gallon, it's getting to be a consideration ;)

·
Registered
705 Posts
when not training at my home. 2 and a half hours twice a week. sometimes once. but when i get down that way not far at all.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
15 mins, 3-4 times a week. Would it be rude if I have a big grin on my face?:smile:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I usually train in the back yard with Steve. But if we go to Mike's then same old 2 hours he said! I want a hybrid! LOL

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've been spoiled for at least a year now - my decoy (Justin) who is also a very good friend, drives two hours to help me. Usually we drive 5 minutes to where we are going to train. Very soon though a couple of other freinds ....Steve and Kim...... are going to ruin it all for me :p and I will be driving the two hours - at least a couple of times a week;) My Tahoe is actually pretty good on gas.....shifts down from 8 cylinders to 4 on open highways and holds all my crates and equipment.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've been spoiled for at least a year now - my decoy (Justin) who is also a very good friend, drives two hours to help me. Usually we drive 5 minutes to where we are going to train. Very soon though a couple of other freinds ....Steve and Kim...... are going to ruin it all for me :p and I will be driving the two hours - at least a couple of times a week;) My Tahoe is actually pretty good on gas.....shifts down from 8 cylinders to 4 on open highways and holds all my crates and equipment.
lol we wont ruin anything. :mrgreen: (side note we need a smiley that sticks his tongue out) and gotta love displacement on demand.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I'm lucky in that respect. I drive 25 miles one way to the office, then anywhere from 5 to 30 miles to train. The lucky part is, I drive a state vehicle that comes equipped with a most valuable option, a gas card.

DFrost

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
This is supposed to be a fun survey? Geez!

I drive about an hour and a half (95 miles) to training, once-a-week usually, unless there's a holiday or my TD is not going to be in the country or something. The last time we trained was May 6th, though. It's kind of annoying to not be on a more regular schedule, but I really don't have any other choice. My Forester gets about 25mpg. I wish it was more, but it's hard to find a car that crates will fit into that still has good mileage. :-({|=

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Depends on where I'm training that night :) 1 location is 1.5 hours (each way) if traffic is good, it can be up to 3 hours if traffic is bad. The other main location is 1.25 hours (each way) if traffic is good. On a bad day I don't think it's taken over 1.75 hours.

Once in awhile we train at the rodeo grounds near me, that's 20 minutes away :)

I have a Dodge Ram, so my gas mileage isn't great. Need to consider getting another mini-van. Luckily I only work 8 miles from my house, so the gas money most people spend commuting to work, I spend commuting to dog training.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Used to just be 15 minutes to the local club. Unfortunately, my schedule has changed on Sundays and they don't have Saturday morning training anymore (DH has got me convinced I shouldn't act like a heathen and should actually go to church on Sunday mornings instead of dog training, haha). :( I guess I'll have to suck it up and drive 1.5 hours out to Bob's club on Saturday mornings when I get the new pup (when I'm not in the mood to go to the farmers market on Saturday mornings and get ground bison for the dogs for $1 a pound, woo hoo!).

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I drive to North Carolina two to three times a year at respectively 3500 miles round trip, and for local training I drive a minimum of 260 round trip three times a month.

A lot of training goes on here at my place and about 15 miles away on a friends place daily.

Summertime my mileage goes way up as I travel to help with seminars and workshops with my trainer.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
It's not that bad. This year in August I get to go with my Bloodhound, Mal, and the two GSD pups. :p :p

It becomes a spectacle at times, but no one bothers me.
Hence the big reason that I am going into training a PPD. I travel alone A LOT.

·
Registered
324 Posts
We're on the lucky side right now. We go 35 miles twice a week. However, we also go 500 miles every couple months to train with someone else. AND, I try to get down to other fields [about 110 miles] every couple of months as well.
But when we were in Arizona, we drove 110 miles every week to training, stayed there overnight, trained more, then came home.
We also have too many dogs we're training. So we usually end up driving 2 cars everywhere we go.
We're driving to Dogstock in Sacramento next month, and yep, you guessed it, we need two vehicles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts