Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone. My name is Don Turnipseed. I am a breeder of working airedales and am learning more about PP because it seems to require special dogs. Here are a couple of pictures of pups that thave been started in PP. The first is HC Curtis at 8 mo. The second is Mijo at 7 1/2 mo. I have dogs doing water retrieving, big game, flushing, and several state certified therapy dogs. I hope to learn more about the finer points of protection dogs here.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Don!

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
The name isn't familiar to me.
Does Ed work airedales?
My interest in working terriers is with the small earth dogs. I hunted with them for a numbr of years. To old for digging now. :lol:
Before I got my GSD I was really interested in a working airedale for Schutzhund. Just couldn't find the right one.

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brisco is a Sch II airedale out of St.Louis. Also has several retriever tiitles. Earth dogs. Now there are dogs with attitude. There are a bunch of people back East into the little dogs. Henry Johnston, Wayne Waggoner, Lawrence Alexander. I think they were trying to bring the Border Terriers back to the working dog arena.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
I do recall seeing a SchH II airedale at a Tom Rose trial. Didn't get a chance to talk with him. The dog really seemd to enjoy itself, unlike a lot of the GSDs and mals. I think the airedale can take a lot more pressure/compulsion training without becomming "hang dog" about it. I think they like the pain. :lol: :lol:
Henery contacted with me over the phone about borders. Later that year was when I met him in Kentucky. He had a border with him then.
Lots of terrier men don't like the border cause many of them are late bloomers. You can have a nice working JRT, patterdale, fell by 8-10 months old. Borders may be 2 before they kick in. My borders were late like that. When they finally started working, they were Kamikazi dogs that spent more time healing then hunting. That's why I went to JRTs.

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe Ed and Tom Rose co-authored a book which may., or may not have been on the Giant Schnauzers. Not really sure what it was on but Ed previously titled the Schnauzers and Tom and Ed are friends. I will finally get to meet Ed this March at the Nationals in Oh. I am taking two dogs and several other of my dogs are supposed to be there.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
One of these days I'm gonna make those nationals. My heart will always have a spot for the airedales.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Don Turnipseed said:
I believe Ed and Tom Rose co-authored
a book which may., or may not have been on the Giant Schnauzers.
Not really sure what it was on but Ed previously titled the Schnauzers
and Tom and Ed are friends. I will finally get to meet Ed this March
at the Nationals in Oh. I am taking two dogs and several other of
my dogs are supposed to be there.
They wrote Protection Dogs, and also Protection Dogs for You and Your
Family. Included is discussion of suitable breeds.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Connie Sutherland said:
Don Turnipseed said:
I believe Ed and Tom Rose co-authored
a book which may., or may not have been on the Giant Schnauzers.
Not really sure what it was on but Ed previously titled the Schnauzers
and Tom and Ed are friends. I will finally get to meet Ed this March
at the Nationals in Oh. I am taking two dogs and several other of
my dogs are supposed to be there.
They wrote Protection Dogs, and also Protection Dogs for You and Your
Family. Included is discussion of suitable breeds.
How come it doesn't supprise me that you would know or find that info!! :lol:

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Lynn, I actually registered back when you sent me the link. I just happened to try it during the wee hours of the morning, when I was up quieting the dogs, and it finally worked!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nice pictures Don and good to see another breed.
Welcome to this forum. Hope you have some good jokes, Woody is running out of them!
Robert

1 - 20 of 22 Posts