Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Wow!!! Those decoys have mad skills. Some of the dogs were very impressive - especially the ones that took the decoy down :twisted:

I really liked how the decoys found some of the dogs weaknesses and played upon them instead of trying to "make the dog look good" ie., in the Defense of Handler - the dog appeared conflicted as to who to pay attention to. The decoy played upon it and was able to get right behind the handler. The dog got behind the decoy and could not see the attack on handler. The dog did end up between the decoys legs but not in time to see the attack on handler. No doubt the handler was a little more then annoyed at the dog that allowed the decoy to take the basket, the dog trotting next to the decoy as if it did not have a care or concern in the world, in the Guard of Object.

Got a question, as I am not all that knowledgeable concerning French Ring: I noticed a couple times that if the dog took the decoy down, the horn would sound a few seconds later and the dog would be called off by the handler (whistle blows). There was I believe two times where the decoy did go down momentarily, but then got up and continued with the dog. Is it a difference of the initial contact between dog and decoy - decoy goes down and dog automatically receives full points for the exercise. If decoy goes down after the initial contact, the dog continues and is scored accordingly?

·
Premium Member
21,867 Posts
Another question!
Does the helper intentionally try to avoid theinitial bite as he did with the one he kept pushing away?
I do like the idea of making the dog work for a bite instead of just presenting the sleeve/bitesuit.

·
Banned
11,727 Posts
The esquive (escape) takes points off of the exersize.

The big difference is that the decoy is constantly taking away points. How to go about this with each dog is different. Some decoys don't try to esquive some dogs. This excites the dog so maybe he has a slow out. There are many ways for the decoy to take your points.

Another thing, the dogs strengths and weaknesses are well known to the decoys.

·
Premium Member
21,867 Posts
Thanks Jeff!
As with any bite sport the decoy can make or break a dogs performance.
This would put more reality back into it.

·
Premium Member
21,867 Posts
I happen to like schutzhund! :lol:
Our club does try to add variety to our training.
No one does the full routine, or even in trial order, till they go on the trial field. Clatter sticks, plastic jugs with rocks throw while the dog is on the bite. Pistol shots can come any time douring training.
Even obedience.
I wish we could do some suit work. I'd love to see my dogs reaction to that.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Bob, your club sounds nicer and more proficient than the few I have seen around here. They tend to do the exact same routines over and over again. Their dogs are so programmed to know which blind get the end result, and in the obedience, they do nothing to distract the dog. Some of the obstacles in obedience training are just one vertical and one solid jump, with the handler in site. The rest is the patterned heel, drop, stand, etc. In the same direction, the same paces, etc. I like the sounds of yours better for training.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.