Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
didn't you recognize my suit i colored the black white. lol. nice decoy work though

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
So do the decoys ever get bitten in the face by dogs that retarget when the decoy bends down? I do notice he's bending over in such a way that it looks like if the dog moved the bite he'd bite to the chest, so maybe they already take this into account?

·
Registered
705 Posts
yeah you see them everynow and then but im pretty sure those were tervs

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
My husband, who has done a teeny tiny bit of helper work in Schutzhund, had a question...he was curious if anyone ever gets accidently nailed in the hands or anything during the object guard while attempting to grab the basket. He was just wondering why they wouldn't wear gloves.

Edit: loved the Pirates of the Carribean soundtrack too. 8)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi,
Honestly it's not about that. The dog is pretty equipment trained if all the training is done correctly. The dog enjoys the challenge of the fight with the decoy - but is really just fighting over the equipment.
I don't think a ring dog is anymore apt to bit a decoy in the face than a schutzhund dog. (of course there are always those dogs in every sport - but usually don't get all the way to level 3 in ring because of control problems).
Although there are some dogs that go through the suit :p
but that's something else entirely.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It looks identical to a black and tan GSD, so I really wonder if that´s a terv? I know there are a kennel in france that has quite a few GSDs working in mondio and FR, don´t rememeber the name thou.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Hand bites do accidentally happen sometimes in Ring. They rarely happen on purpose. If your dog likes to go after hands, face, etc and the judge sees that, they will tear the book up and your dog won't be competing anymore. Pretty quick and simple way to make sure the dogs entered are safe to work.
Decoy's don't wear gloves because if the dog does bite the hand, they may not realize it since their is fabric over it. A dog is more apt to spit it out and retarget onto the suit if the hand is bare, than if there is fabric in their mouth. Plus the visual, unless the gloves are light colored it can make the hands blend into the suit.

There was 1 Terv in the video, and a number of GSD. GSD are actually fairly popular in France for Ring. They used to be the main dog, until 20-25 years ago. Now you still see them in Ring, but the Malinois are taking most of the podium spots.

I'll claim possible influence for the sound track LOL Erin and I used it extensively in the 2006 NARA Championship DVD we created, and I happen to know someone in France I gave that DVD to as a gift, is close friends with the person who put together the Selectif DVD. :p

·
Banned
11,728 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Kadi,

since you mentioned this... kind of.

I have a dvd of the Mondioring championships from belgium that was given to me at the Nationals.

It is in some weird format that I can't open it. I have taken it to places that have European dvd players and they cannot open it either.

it's in a ".gi" format -- I believe this stands for global image.

Do you -- or anyone else have a clue how to watch this?

Jeff -- those decoys are incredible athletes -- I really enjoy watching this

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I definitely agree that the decoys did a wonderful job. Seems like the second dog (Malinois) engaged before the decoy struck the handler...could be wrong because the decoys are fast and it's a hard angle to see. Does the dog lose all points for this exercise if he indeed engaged the decoy before he struck the handler? Same dog also seemed to have problems engaging when the stick was used down low by the decoy in one of the exercises.

Is there a line on the field, that the decoy attempts to cross, when he is able to distract the dog and get the basket before the dog engages? I'm wondering if that one dog, believe it was a GSD, was focusing on the handler when the decoy was able to get the basket and run a good distance before the dog engaged.

·
Registered
705 Posts
the dog cant bite until the basket is touched. and they loose points if the dog bites the decoy before he is touched but i dont believe it is all of them

1 - 20 of 26 Posts