Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys...

Can I possibly ask a favour?

My working line GSD bitch is now 14 weeks old. Just a baby, etc, I know.

I'm slowly introducing her to new sights, smells, noises, locations and experiences...

Even things that i've not planned, turn out to be tests. Only tonight on a dark path, (2nd time out at night), we happened across a lone walker coming towards us. Xena saw him in the distance and stopped next to me . (she was on lead)..

She never took her eyes off him as he approached and as he passed alongside he moved towards him, with a quick 'sniff'...whilst turning to watch him...where she continued to do that until he was out of sight.

I praised her throughout...calm, high voice etc..

Can you please suggest any more scenarios that I can stage or happen upon by accident that will be good for her development...

Also, at what pace you suggest I move at....

Any ideas welcome...the lengthier, the better :)

Many thanks
Gary

·
Registered
278 Posts
Gary might I suggest saying nothing at all to this puppy. You just keep moving along. Act like nothing is a big deal and she will copy. She is following your lead, your alpha lead.

She see's a jogger, you show caution in watching how she is going to react to this, in your moment of wanting to console or encourage her, you are praising her, for what? She was watchful, you were making a bigger deal out of it by stopping. Then as she tries to get closer to you for safety, you praise her. Just keep walking, head help up high, when she feels the leash tighting, she will have to follow you to keep up, and focus on that instead of the runner.

Now, as she puts her attention back on you and off the runner, so she can catch up to you, now you can praise her, perhaps a click and treat too.

As she sees new and difficult events, she and every pup needs a confident leader to show her that there is no cause for alarm. When you stop to observe her, and then help her through, you are basically enabling her fear, and verbally rewarding it as well.

Simply put, I walk, my kids and puppies must follow to get fed, love, security. There is no safety alone, only with the pack, ie me.. More importantly, there is also tons of fun things to do, exciting games and lots of learning.

Good luck,

I will make some videos of me raising this next pup. I don't know much about her, only that she is a GSD pup, from Czech and West German stuff and FREE.

Bryan

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ditto. I have a mildly dog aggressive dog, and I used to tense up when another dog came by, just kinda waiting for the lunge. Naturally, this was giving her a cue to bow up. When I started just walking by, even a little bit faster than normal, she kept going because she knew she had to keep up.

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Gary,

I'm with the others - at this age, do not anticipate problems, but show confidence and let the dog work it out for herself.

Actually Ian: I anticipate everything. I imagine everything before it happens. I visualize problems before they become problems. You have to, so your timing in responding is "Spot on"

Bryan

·
Registered
512 Posts
Gary,

I'm with the others - at this age, do not anticipate problems, but show confidence and let the dog work it out for herself.

Actually Ian: I anticipate everything. I imagine everything before it happens. I visualize problems before they become problems. You have to, so your timing in responding is "Spot on"

Bryan
Agreed, poorly worded by myself. It is best to anticipate all scenarios. It is quite OK even to react before an anticipated scenario if the the potential negative outcomes outweigh the potential positives.

The gist of what I was trying to say is set yourself up for success and then trust the dog.

P.S. Bryan, I doubt you 'imagine everything before it happens' or you would be the richest man on the planet.....;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
P.S. Bryan, I doubt you 'imagine everything before it happens' or you would be the richest man on the planet.....;)[/QUOTE]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH Ian, money is not the route happiness. I take great pride in knowing everything and being the most enlightened person I KNOW:)

I wish I could have imagined the pile of shit the other night before stepping in it.

Bryan

·
Registered
278 Posts
I wish I could have imagined the pile of shit the other night before stepping in it.

Bryan[/QUOTE]

Might I add, barefoot too. @^@$%&@$%&#@%$ was what I was screaming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts