Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My opinion:

#1 would not concern me at all - I prefer a small club of like minded individuals who's goals are at least similiar to mine.

#2 is definitely a concern.

#3 would be that I would not want to limit myself to a club that trains in only
one venue...be it SchH or one of the ring sports.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Lacey, I agree with that. We have some people in our club that do SchH, others training for other suit sports, and of course, me, floundering along in my ring studies ;) I don't have a lot of use for clubs that are very specific in one thing - or sport bashing clubs (playing innocent). I had a schutzhund trainer tell me once that my dog was going to start going into avoidance b/c I was working with Mondio and PSA style distractions while doing tug work, and that kind of stuff was 'amateurish and unnecessary.' He never did, though. :)

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
My opinion:

#1 would not concern me at all - I prefer a small club of like minded individuals who's goals are at least similiar to mine.

#2 is definitely a concern.

#3 would be that I would not want to limit myself to a club that trains in only
one venue...be it SchH or one of the ring sports.
I'm saving my keystrokes today

Ditto :p

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
If you could start a new club, what would be the greatest cause for concern for you???

1, Not enough members
Not a problem, better 2 or 3 motivated people with same goals then 20 member and no unity.

2, Not enough knowledge
That´s a problem, you need experienced people with GOOD knowledge

3, Write in your own.
We´re with 5 people, Dick, Remco, Suzan, Kevin and myself.

Dick is an experienced trainer, instructor & decoy (suit aswell sleeve).

Remco is an experienced trainer & decoy (decoying for 24 yrs, 20 yrs as a national trial decoy).

Kevin is learning to be a decoy, and is learning trainingskills with a experienced bitch, his first puppy is one out of our latest litter (Balou).

Suzan (remco´s friend) has (partly) trained 1 dog and has a puppy out of our latest litter (Tessa on breedingterms).

Me: light green trainer, helper on the field. 1 dog IPO certified, 1 dog in training KNPV

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
#1 Our motto is that we will train a three legged Chi dog if you are truly dedicated to training. If you aren't willing to make at LEAST 75% of the training days, rain or shine, hot or cold,

#2 If you truly believe in 100% motivational training, we will teach you. If not, you need to look at the other traditional clubs in this area.

#3 We train predominantly in Schutzhund but we will help you with other venues. We have members with obedience, agility, etc titles besides Schutzhund.
We're a very close knit group but the training field is just that. You should be watching and listening the helper, handler and dog on the field. We go to dinner after all training and this is where we socialize. If you miss dinder, your missing out on great discussions and a great deal of fun bs.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I think the biggest reason people DON'T start their own clubs is they don't want that much responcibility. They had rather go somewhere else to train and leave the hard work to others. There's nothing wrong with that. If everyone that to have their own club then a one person club could not be fun. In a group we can all have fun, right???

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Of course, I was trying to see why people didn't start their own clubs. I need some work on my questioning skills.
I'll haver to ditto Jerry on that.
I'll be 62 in a couple of months and just want to have fun at this point in my life.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Since, at this age, I work very hard to avoid responsibility, I don't know what they would be. Total avoidance! ;)

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
If ya want that much vision and wisdom, I'll have to check uncle Grog's records. The're written on a cave wall in France.
Uncle Grog didn't have any expierience with a bite suit. Didn't need it cause wolves couldn't get through all the matted hair on his body.
JEEZE! It's getting late! :lol:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts