Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an addiction...... I'm a flashaholic..

That's someone who's interested and owns a number of flashlights..and tactical ones at that...

I use several on duty..and many more off duty.. From ones at home, to ones in the car, to EDC (Every day carry) lights...

The benefit of having a decent flashlight with you, cannot be over emphasized...

Presumably, you exercise your dogs during the night time too, so what flashlights (if any) do you carry ?

Thanks (for indulging me)

Gary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I like the 4x D Cell MagLites. I tried to get one in Belgium, Amazon UK sells them I think, but for some reason they cannot be imported to Belgium. I shoulda brought mine with me from home. I also have some of those lights you wind up and dont require batteries for emergency power outages. I also have a few 2 million candlepower spots around for those times where I need to light up a neighbors yard 6 blocks away to blind their cat ;)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good selection, Gary.
I've owned all of them over the years, apart from the big M6.

Out of those above, I only have the L4 now.

I also have a Surefire M4, G2, E2D, L1, Fenix L2D, Fenix P1D-CE and Gladius Nite-ops...

Apart from law enforcement needs and personal security out of work.. a good flashlight is essential when out with your dog...to find him/her, to look for other animals or areas of danger for you and your dog...and many other uses..

Such a flashlight needs to be small enough that you'll always carry it, regardless of how long you think you're going to be out for..and bright enough to flood an area. In addition, the battery life needs to be sufficient for the entire walk.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Oooooh flashlights! :smile:
I am more into headlight type flashlights and love my Princeton Tec Apex, along with my old dependable Petzls but I do have a little handheld "Legend" flashlight that has all kinds of nice little filters and a fibre optic attachment(from my military days - don't have much need anymore for the filters and stuff:smile: ) and several little Maglites. I have a really nice 4 D cell Maglite that had a rechargeable battery and nice attachments for inside your vehicle but I have not been able to find the replacement rechargeable battery - sad cause it had a really nice long beam. Haven't been able to find any parts locally. It would be nice to modify back to a regular 4D cell unit.

I also have a one of those cheap gazillion candlepower flashlights - they don't last very long at all on a charge but it is great for stashing by the back door to shine on the dogyard when the dogs start howling - usually shuts them up right away.

I would also like to mod the Apex with a remote battery pack that I can wear under my coat and more power - I have seen one done but am kind of at a loss as to how to carry it out. I use to mod my old ray-o-vac ones but have held off as I don't want to mess this one up. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I used to think one of my friends was weird for buying flashlights everywhere we went and having a flashlight fetish. Then one day every flashlight I had in the house was dead and I couldnt find one of the lil runts that was off exploring in the yard n it drove me nuts. The next day I spent $250 on flashlights at home depot, various sizes of Mag's for in the house and in the car, among others :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have about 8 battery powered bicycle headlights. I used to commute by bicycle when I lived in Seattle and the route was pitch black on the way home, hence many headlights.

I grab one of these when the dogs are out in the dark.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I have a couple of rechargable mag-lights, they come in very handy. I also have a surefire that is designed to fit a Glock. I really like it as well.

DFrost

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
i have to say i'm w/jerry-except i don't have a zippo anymore :)

out where i live, there's sufficient light at night for me to see by if it's not cloudy, and if it's cloudy, well, that's why i have the dog w/me--to run off the varmints before the varmints get me :)

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
i carry a streamlight stinger on my belt and carry a streamlight SL-20 in my cargo pocket. never had a problem with either.

at home i have a variety of CAF's....

CAF=crappy ass flashlights...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts