Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know a cheap easy way to light a section of a training field to work after dark? Alot of folks put up the really big wooden poles with the huge floods on top, I was just wondering if there was a non-blinding easier DIY alternative that is good enough to light up a small section of the field to do some basic bitework after dark? The downside to something like 1000w shoplights I guess is the fact that they are eye-level so you'll be blinded everytime you face the lights, but just wondering if anyones come up with some other way.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Do you have a Federal Surplus Depot in your area? Sometimes they have surplused lighting carts. The lights have a self contained generator, with two pretty bright lights. Sometimes surplus can be picked up pretty cheap. Check a website named; Govdeals.com If they have one in your area, it may give you a place to look anyway.

Just a thought.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
http://www.workingdogforum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=11026&highlight=#11026

Scroll down to Lynn Cheffins:
QUOTE:
Hi Connie - I didn't get the best of pictures but they at least show the idea of the thing
this shows the cheap and dirty floodlight

this kinda shows(with a branch in the way) the light when it is up

also shows my shedding dogs

this one shows the light folded

this is great cause you can change the light bulb without a ladder

what I would do in your case is take a car tire rim and fill it with cement (mortar mix works good) and leave a hole big enough for 2 inch ABS pipe. I would make the upright standard out of the ABS pipe and the off-set arm out of something light - like 1 X 2's and just drill a hole thru the ABS and put a bolt and washers. then just use another piece of 1 X 2 for the arm brace with a strap hinge and some method to secure it in place(like an eye-bolt and snap). this way you can fold it down, pull the ABS out of the tire rim and just roll it away to store it. Then you just need an extension cord. I find with the light elevated it lights up a good sized area quite well. I am going to make one with the ABS as I made another running yard for the dogs and I will take a picture of it when it is done.
The wood one I have is great but darn heavy! Handy plce to hang the kennel hose out of dog reach, though.END

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have.. umm.. 7 huge floodlights, but instead of putting poles up we attached the lights to a 2x4, got a very tall ladders, scaled the ladders and screwed the 2x4s high up a pine tree, that way we don't get blinded.

Hardest and longest part was burying the electric line from the house to the base of the trees.. the rest was gravy. (easy for me to say as I did not actually put them up LOL)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts