Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very short; just down/stand and sit.
Off-lead with drag line.
She's been doing good; we are working on two things; responding to commands from a distance and disassociating verbal from visual cues.

Distance - she's good in the house - if you toss out a "Kim - sit" she'll park her fanny from 2 rooms away; but if you set her up for it; she'll waffle, move forward a few steps - like if she thinks about it; it becomes harder. No biggie; we'll just work on it. Also the hand gesture in the video wasn't necessary I don't think; I thought she'd move forward; but in retrospect she wasn't going to - so handler mistake there.

[/URL][/img]

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Very Nice! In both this video & the recall video she looks good, not stressed at all, so whatever was going on, you fixed it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Playing with obedience

I think was the big fix - we haven't done anything structured in a while; and it was in structured obed classes that the first "back-chat" showed up.

I think with Kim the idea is going to be to save the structure for very precise stuff, in an atmosphere that she understands - and lots of FUN training for repetitive commands. She loves a ball-tug toy that I have been using and loves to wrestle; so we work on stuff inbetween playing with the tug and wrestling.

When people march out the "independent" lgd stuff; I think it is that "eff-you" concept where they turn that deaf ear because they really don't understand why you are asking them YET again. I've done it; let's move on! They also will as a breed anticipate like mad to get to the final conclusion. Nothing major; nothing that many breeds don't exhibit; just makes them interesting to train.

So for training I'm going with short, sweet and leave her asking for more.
We also are going to be attending more obedience classes in the summer with a focus on the toy for reward; I work evenings and weekends right now; so not much chance. I would like to get her CGC this year and one qualifying score at least towards her UKC CD title.

I really do think she does well for a year old pup that has seen a structured obedience class about 20 times (including pup socialization classes). The rest of the stuff is her and me.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Be careful about the obedience classes this summer. Most public classes are, shall we say, less then on top of things. You may not be given the option of reading your own dog.
You do such and such because the book says that how you do it. :roll:
The trainer owns an OTCH Golden Retriever and doesn't have a clue how to really train a dog.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My choice of trainer;

she's very fun.

Encompasses all training options that I could wish; if it works for you and your dog, she'll use it; from head haltis (ick-I have horses; I know what should be wearing a halter) to prongs, e-collars to clickers, she not only uses them (or has in the past herself, she helps owners train and handle their dogs with them).

I've been friends with her since 1998, when I got my APBT (deceased) Indy and she rescued a red/red from California that had hitched a ride with a trucker (and proceeded to eat his truck's interior).

She has trained and handled her own deceased GSD to SchH1, and has numerous other obedience titles on other dogs.
She owns an APBT, Jack, Mali, 3 GSD, and whatever dog is currently going through her to a new home (she rescues and rehomes) and she is waiting on a Beauceron puppy that she and I'll partner on.

She hasn't competed for a while, intends to with the new puppy, but last year hosted a great seminar with Bernhard Flinks (really like his timing on a dog; he'd make an awesome horse trainer). Fascinating stories from him, he was fun.

I trust her; and she trusts me. She's too busy with all her dogs and her business to be on internet sites, but I send on to her interesting stuff; so she can see what's going on.

I use her classes for the "social" contact that Kim needs; the mind her own business end of things. Kim thinks everyone should be there to see her, very confident; and it's nice to put Kim in a situation that everyone (not just her) has to "behave".

Kim (like many dogs) is very situational; and behaves depending on the situation. I think because of this I should be able to get some sort of obedience performance out of her; she understands in certain situations exactly how she is to behave. I just have to convince her of the validity of the situation; I think that's a girl thing. :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Re: My choice of trainer;

Connie Sutherland said:
Jennifer Sider said:
... She has trained and handled her own deceased GSD to SchH1,
I think a SchH 1 with a dead dog is VERY impressive.

Sorry. :oops: Tried to stop myself.

Bet that wasn't very motivational! :eek:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMG, I can't believe I wrote that

and no; at the time of the Titling; he was alive; or was putting in a very good appearance at being that way.

Zowie, that was one for stupid comments. :oops:

but you see how much I enjoy her training skills; she can perform miracles!! 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts