Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetical question here...

If someone has this style of fencing:

And the fencing is 54" tall -- is there a GOOD LOOKING way to maintain this look & style but doing something to it to get 5.5-6ft height to keep agile dogs from jumping over the fence? Or is this a "get a different fence" situation? I know you can attach wire fencing to this stuff to keep dogs squeezing between the slats, just curious if there's a way to extend the height somehow without having to replace $15,000 of fencing.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Run an electric wire across the top. It won't be visible and they only have to touch it once.

DFrost

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You could also run a hot wire along the bottom(for ones that deide to squeeze under) - for the above reasons.
I use lots of electric fencing here and have always had good results with it. If you use the poly-wire(which is a white polyehtylene twine with electic filaments running thru it) it is white and blends in white fencing pretty well and is easier to string(doesn't need stretching like wire) so is very easy to install. I like the Gallagher wire better than Bayguard as it lasts longer.
Pretty nice looking fences there - is this your new "Estate" or something? :D

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just house hunting right now n most of the houses have fences like that, just wondering what my dog containment options would be. That photo was a google search just for example of the fence that is most common around here.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Mike, i've got a 5.5 black vinyl chain link fence w/ss pipe (which i painted blk to match). It's excellent for containment and looks good with zero maintanence, i could leave the dogs alone outside if i had to and not worry, i don't know if they make in white though. That 3 rail fence is the same as having no fence IMO, i want containment!

AL

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
i think the electric is a really good option, esp if you can get it in white (but the regular grey stuff would work, too; and be nearly invisible) to match the fence. i think you'd have to run it between each horizontal, top and bottom to be an effective containment system.

how about simply running an inground fence around the perimeter? the decorative fence looks fine, but the dogs shouldn't cross the inground if they're trained properly. would they try to "jump" an inground? i just thought of that--wouldn't think so, but we're talking mike and crazy mals here.... :lol: maybe an inground with a top hotwire for insurance....

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
i think the electric is a really good option, esp if you can get it in white (but the regular grey stuff would work, too; and be nearly invisible) to match the fence. i think you'd have to run it between each horizontal, top and bottom to be an effective containment system.

how about simply running an inground fence around the perimeter? the decorative fence looks fine, but the dogs shouldn't cross the inground if they're trained properly. would they try to "jump" an inground? i just thought of that--wouldn't think so, but we're talking mike and crazy mals here.... :lol: maybe an inground with a top hotwire for insurance....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts