Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I assisted at a FEMA/USAR trainng and certification event. Although the event was a week long, my role was crew chief on a helicopter to assist in doing hot loads (engines running) and hot unloads. The helo portion included a standard safety briefing by the pilot (they used our highway patrol copter) and a briefing on the best way to load, hold the dog and dismount. Most dogs accepted it very well although a few were really nervous around the running copter.

I also got a tour of training etc that was being conducted. They had a number of stations set up ranging from; a tall tripod used to hoist the dog by a harness and rope, a distraction area where a live subject was hidden along with food, cadaver material etc along the way, a confined space training that was filled with smoke and dark as hades (we could watch through infared camera). All in all, it was a very informative trip for me, even if I did have to work a little.

One particular bright spot for me, on the flight to the event we say a mature bald eagle hunting. The pilot even made a couple of circles just so we could watch him. What a beauty.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I am very envious of the bald eagle and helicopter-ride part. I love being in a helicopter best of all aircraft.

The tripod part....... how tall? To hoist the dog where? Into the helicopter?

I'm having visualization problems. :oops:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Very cool all around!
I did the helocopter thing with Thunder when he was 12 wks old. He thought that was the neatest toy he ever saw.
He's also done the tripod lift as a training prelude to rappelling out of a 40 ft tower. AWESOME!
Living just a few miles from the confluence of the Missouri and the Mississippi rivers, We'll be seeing lots of Bald Eagles in another few months.
I'm about 1 1/2 miles from the old Chain of Rocks bridge that spans the Mississippi.
It's now a hiking and bicycle trail and a part of the old historic Route 66.
Great spot for dog walking and eagle watching in Dec and Jan.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tripodd was used as Bob described. It was perhaps 10 to 12 feet tall. It gave everyone the opportunity to put on a rapelling harness, hook the dog up, raise and lower them.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
David Frost said:
The tripodd was used as Bob described. It was perhaps 10 to 12 feet tall. It gave everyone the opportunity to put on a rapelling harness, hook the dog up, raise and lower them.

DFrost
OK, now I am jealous about three parts of the event.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Although we FEMA handlers take our training very seriously, I have to admit its a really fun/great time (especially when there are fun "toys" involved).

The tripod is a neat thing. We've used it in the past too. I posted this photo of me and Riot being lowered off a bridge with it on this site before:

David - maybe I'll see you at the FEMA canine eval in TN in November??? I'll be there with my Labrador! :D [/u]

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perhaps so, do you know where it's going to be held?

DFrost

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it's in the Memphis area, I think I know where it will be. Probably the same place the one I was referring to was held. It's actually on a friends farm. She has a rubble pile, and lots of area to set stuff up. I'll probably show up just to observe, unless they request a helo again. Then I"ll be crew chief for that.

DFrost

1 - 13 of 13 Posts