Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched a special abut nostalgic toys. Man, what a walk down my memory lane. I was the youngest & therefore the spoiled ROTTEN baby in my family, but therefore, I got the best loot. I was a real tomboy & hated to get clothes. My most favorite was anything for my horses or dogs. I never got a Susie Homemaker Oven, (I think I was too old), but was fascinated by them, if they had given me one back then, I maybe could cook something more than whatever I can cram in my miocrowave today. Anyway I'm having a hard time coming up with a favorite nostalgic toy. What are some of yours?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Etch-a-Sketch
Tiny little metal cars that cost a nickel each and for which we built giant complex highway systems
Colorforms
Silly Willy
Mr. Potato Head
Go to the Head of the Class
Candy Land
Slinky
Spud Guns
Cap Guns (rolls of caps to hit with a rock, too)
Pick-up Sticks
Hula Hoop
Parcheesi
Chinese Checkers
Mouse Trap
Operation

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Chemistry set (Gilbert?)..... the better it was, the more fold-out parts in the metal case. I had a three-part one! \:D/

One year my father (with my mother's fabric help) made me a doll house that had electric lights, carpets, curtains, and wallpaper. Possibly my best present evah.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Wow, this is gonna age me - "Tony the pony". It was a hard plastic replica of a horse that ran on batteries. Rode that darn thing all over the neighborhood in North Philly - everyone else was riding their "big wheel".

Grew up to buy a real horse, like I had asked for year after year as a child. Can't imagine where I intended to keep a horse considering the only grass where I grew up, was in the center median area of an 8 lane highway. :)

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Set of plain wooden blocks in rectangles, squares, cylinders, etc.

We made mansions for caterpillars with these. We found those tree-nests in the woods of some kind of caterpillars, put them all in a pail and carried them back, put them in their beautiful new houses (with beds and chairs), and were stunned every morning when they had taken off.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Funny Connie :lol: I wish I did , truth be told I found that picture on the internet.

Most of the other toys I can remember were footballs, hockey sticks, baseball gloves and a carpenter set. I think my Dad really wanted a boy -can't say I blame him after 5 girls though :p

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never had model trains, but they sure look like fun. Especially setting up the little towns, homes & all the other intricate stuff that goes with the older model trains.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Lacey Vessell said:
Funny Connie :lol: I wish I did , truth be told I found that picture on the internet.

Most of the other toys I can remember were footballs, hockey sticks, baseball gloves and a carpenter set. I think my Dad really wanted a boy -can't say I blame him after 5 girls though :p
Yeah, we were six girls and one boy. :eek:

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Lacey, the tv show I was talking about even had the original commercial for Tony the Pony. What great memories.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Some of my all time favourite Chrismas pressies were a Roy Rogers gun and holster set and a really nice stick horse! also a toy garage that had a real working garage door and came with cars, a car that came with a horse trailer, and the "Jane and Johny West" toys that came with horses with realistic tack - never wanted Jane or Johny - just the horses!
My parents saved alot of our toys and now wrap them up and give them back to us a Christmas time - which is always good for a laugh - now at 46 I have a very nice selection of toys to play with - farm sets, plastic cowboys and indians, cowboy gun and holster sets, stuffed animals,toy appliances and and some very nice tea sets and Barbies, these might come in handy in my second childhood :)

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Lynn Cheffins said:
..... My parents saved alot of our toys and now wrap them up and give them back to us a Christmas time - which is always good for a laugh - now at 46 I have a very nice selection of toys to play with - farm sets, plastic cowboys and indians, cowboy gun and holster sets, stuffed animals,toy appliances and and some very nice tea sets and Barbies, these might come in handy in my second childhood :)

Oooooooo! You are so lucky!!!!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
well, first i was gonna say that i couldn't say what my favorite "toy" was, but then, realizing we're talking about when we were LITTLE, i'd have to say:

the farm sets, trucks/trailers w/horses/cattle. my parents knew enough not to get me Barbies or any of that "girlie" stuff. lincoln logs, a REAL sled (we lived in northern WI), a custom-made goose-down jacket...

as the 3rd girl of 8 kids (7 girls, then the sainted boy who i think we carried everywhere for the first 3 yrs of his life, and who has turned out to be quite a good guy in spite of it :D ), i got hand me downs, but didn't have to fight much w/sisters over presents...!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts