Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you doing Balabanov-type stuff, are you ALWAYS waiting for eye contact before you release and reward? What kind of bridge time is acceptable to you (i.e., mark the behavior, then reward with the play object)?

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Initially you mark immediately. You extend the time as the dog understands. Teh goal is to eventually chain all the behaviour together till you have 2-3behaviours, or even a whole routine done before the marker is given.
My marker is "yes". I can bridge that with a quiet "good" until I've gotten what I want.
example; the basic position is the foundation for everything. When the dog is solid on that with good eye contact, you take one step. If the dog keeps in position with the eye contact, you mark and reward. The dog now has done to behaviours eye contact and one step.
You add halts, turns etc to that but not untill each separate behaviour is solid.
Some get upset because the dog starts using the marker as a release comand. I don't care about that. The dog did what I wanted it to so the exercise is over.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
What bob said, my mark is "keurig", reward is playing tug or a piece of cheese/meat.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the bridge, how do you stretch out time (do you purposely stretch out time) from mark to reward so the damn dog doesn't go jumping into you looking for the tug (not that this is an issue with me. Really.).

I've "released" her, the exercise is over, and I'm trying to get the tug out of my pocket gracefully, which is not possible with gloves, a Carhartt jacket, in the dark when it's 15 degrees or so...it's kind of a goofy sequence.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I have to give Bob and Bob's club's TD thanks for helping with that. I'm new to marker training and have only tried it since September after sitting through a 3 hour seminar by Clicker Goddess Karen Pryor. I hadn't tried it earlier as I was so put off by all the clicker lackeys, but then again, as one of the folks in our club says, just because you clicker train doesn't mean you have to join the religion and drink the Kool Aid. :roll: :lol:

Anyways, after seeing her seminar, I was making the mistake of marking every couple of seconds, so then when he got the click and treat, he'd look back down again as he probably thought the exercise was over, so I'd have to say "look" again and again. I'm working now on extending the time and saying a low-key "good!" in between the start and end (the click). We're getting there, though now he's starting to swing his butt out a bit wide so I'll have to be careful about only rewarding for when he's parallel. This is the first time I've tried doing this, so heeling at attention is hard, darn it! I'll get there some day... :)

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
First off in the beginning you keep it short. You will find that your dog will start staring at you when not training to get treats or a game going. That is a good indicator that your dog is getting it.

I also think that it depends on the dog, on how quickly you progress. If they are really interested in a lot of things other than what you are doing, I would make it pretty short.

The other thing is people tend to want a progression like 2 4 6 8 10 seconds.

Better to do 1 3 2 6 1 9 4 weird stuff like that.

The reward never comes out as easy as you want it to. Keep moving backwards and the dog will get the idea that it is coming. Being a tard never stopped anyone from training a dog.............otherwise we woulod be here discussing plant life.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
.... The reward never comes out as easy as you want it to. Keep moving backwards and the dog will get the idea that it is coming. .
This is good, and it's something I stumbled on (literally) on my own. :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
A major problem is reaching for the reward before, or at the same time the marker is given. We call that gun slinging at our club. The movement of your hands, BEFORE the marker makes the marker null and void because the visual is always stronger then the verbal.
Timing is just as critical with reward training as a good leash correction.
I've been know to take a bit of abuse when trying to find my reward under all the cold weather gear.
"Hey you old fart! Your althetimers getting the best of you"? "Forget what your looking for"?
:roll: I get no respect!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob Scott said:
"Hey you old fart! Your althetimers getting the best of you"? "Forget what your looking for"?
hah, based on that morning I was at your Club, I can see that. You're pretty much in a firing line down there, all those hecklers in those lawn chairs. :lol: I am pretty sure that TD's brother showed up just to heckle. Very entertaining guys.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Oh yeah, the peanut gallery was in full swing. Things like "the food's getting cold on the buffet" and "more dog training and less people training...your dog's falling asleep!" (as his TD was explaining exactly what Bob was talking about to me on the field and Zoso laid down next to me) Fun times...I'm going to try to make it at least once or twice a month. :D

The gun slinging thing is excellent. My hands tend to move too much as it is and it's been helpful to having being aware of it so it's not one extra visual cue.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
Bob Scott said:
hah, based on that morning I was at your Club, I can see that. You're pretty much in a firing line down there, all those hecklers in those lawn chairs. :lol: I am pretty sure that TD's brother showed up just to heckle. Very entertaining guys.
That's the only reason Brian shows up. Luckily, everyone at club gets along cause if ya can't stand the heat, our club ain't the kitchen you want to be standing in. :lol: :lol:
I just happen to to be lucky enough to be the old fart on the club. :roll: :D
One of the new guys sent his breeder a Christmas card with a pic of his pup wearing a bowtie. The breeder called another member that also had a dog from their kennel. The rest is history. Jason will be forever know as Bowtie Boy!
Sound familiar Trish? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
380 Posts
One of the new guys sent his breeder a Christmas card with a pic of his pup wearing a bowtie. The breeder called another member that also had a dog from their kennel. The rest is history. Jason will be forever know as Bowtie Boy!
Sound familiar Trish?
:lol: :lol: No not at all! We would never do that! :lol: :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts