Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
How successful are novice folks with escape training? Do you all see it that enhances, detracts, or does "nothing" towards the handler/dog bond?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I still have problems thinking through how the dog doesn't figure out that think in your hand/that movement of your arm/that flick of your finger isn't associated with whatever is happening to it, whether it's a hard or mild stim. My impression has always been that if you're doing escape training you need to be very cognizant of not showing your hand to the dog.

Do you all mix up the methods you use to reach for it, etc.? How do you hide it...or do you?

Good to see you back, Lou. :wink: We could've had Andres make up this story a few weeks ago.... :lol:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Andres Martin said:
How do you bond with your dog? Feed him, groom him, handle him (I can't emphasize this enough), socialize him, take him places, PLAY with him, and CORRECT (PUNISH) EVERYTHING YOU DON'T LIKE...consistently, firmly and fairly.

It's what leaders do. Dogs thrive under proper leadership.
And yes, I hear you...this has always been my reservation about using escape training for pet/sport dogs...that corrections need to be viewed as coming from the owner, so they recognize you as being in control of them regardless. That notion has always "clicked" for me and why I think I have a bit of resistance towards escape training (not ecollars, I just don't have a lot of faith in my correction timing yet). I get that it's effective and it's quick and it's probably easier on the dog, I just always wonder what a handler loses in the process of having this "mystical" thing that's also out there influencing the dog.

Thanks for the "mystical" explanation, Lou...I had always wondered about that.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Andres Martin said:
In any event, a dog learns through operant conditioning...so...NO, it's not only one thing. Some stuff will work better for each individual dog.
This confused me. Are you saying escape training is operant conditioning or something else? I interpret operant conditioning this way though this Wikipedia article seems to be odd about how it speaks to dog training. Escape training always sounded like "free operant avoidance learning" to me, i.e., I was just minding my own business and suddenly something very weird/bad happened to me....

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
So I had an interesting concern about escape training for recall that was PM'd to me...

What's the danger of escape training relative to PSD/MWD situations where the dog is sent out to search/apprehend/etc? The dog should be "clear-headed and confident" away from its handler. If escape training convinces the dog that 1. the best place to be is next to its handler and 2. weird stuff can happen when I'm away from the handler...are there cases where the dog's capabilities get undermined by lack of confidence for any number of reasons related to the training it's underwent?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts