Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unexpected addition! Emma is a fawn brindle APBT with flashy markings.

Moxie's breeder offered a replacement pup (even though I did ot have a sales contract with Moxie). The breeder found out that his (former) stud dog's dad had false UKC papers, so now I have a few answers as to why Moxie was the was she was. I was very surprised to see how much was different between this litter and the litter Moxie was from. I had been preparing to politely say "no, thanks" but I was pleasantly surprised when I started looking at the pups.

Anyhow, I picked a pup that is a balance between nice structure and drive. There were a couple more driven pups, but 1) they were ugly (JMHO :grin: ) and 2) I sorta have my hands about full right now and I'm not sure I could train a more driven dog to its full potential. There were a couple prettier pups, but they seemed like they were a little bit shy. They warmed up quickly, but it doesn' matter - big red flag IMO.

I named the pup "Emma" (Emerald) because of her green eyes. I have never seen green eyes before in a dog. It's probably a conformation fault but as long as they work, I really don't care much.

Emma is drivey and fun to work with. I'm not sure if I'll do much more with her than OB, but she definetly has potential for more!

Here she is in her puppy weight pull harness.

And showing off her pretty green eyes in the grass

And making considerable progress on destroying her leash

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Yeah, isn't that a total "boudoir portrait" ?? :lol:
i think so--anne can hold it up to her (after framing of course), in 6 months or so, and do the "see how sweet you really are" guilt trip on her :p

she reminds me of a little brindle PB pup i saw up in Detroit 20 (cough) yrs or so ago that i nearly grabbed and took home--except i was on a motorcycle and a LONG way from home. i can still see that pic in my head, a beautiful dark brindle, about 8 wks, just trotting down the street.....:(

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hee hee! She might actually stay sweet.

Moxie came home growling and snarling and my adults were TERRIFIED of her. It took months before she learned to take a treats without drawing blood. She wasn't into being petted - just in jumping and throwing herslef into walls.

Emmas is a cuddlebug, mostly because of her age. She takes treats gently. She is not overtly dominant or dog v dog aggressive. She is already easier to train (than Moxie was) and a lot easier on my nervous system. She has not sent Abby into a moping depression and fits of 'insecure dominant' and marking behaviors (yet :grin: )

I'm having fun comparing.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the time I picked Moxie I WANTED a hell-on-4-legs pup as a training challenge. I didn't anticipate getting pregnant and being on complete bedrest for months! Her personality was not suited to the type of handling she recieved from my parents.

This time I was looking for complaint, social and easy to train!

So I'm still thrilled with her. Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
At the time I picked Moxie I WANTED a hell-on-4-legs pup as a training challenge. I didn't anticipate getting pregnant and being on complete bedrest for months! Her personality was not suited to the type of handling she recieved from my parents.

This time I was looking for complaint, social and easy to train!

So I'm still thrilled with her. Thanks for the kind comments everyone.
I'm gonna guess that "complaint" was a typo, and that "compliant" was the word you meant. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts