Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit off-kilter, but there's a very interesting article on Economist.com I thought I'd share given this forum's interest in the effects of stimuli on puppy development.

It's an experiment done on rats to verify the notion of maternal care on epigenetic imprinting (i.e., basically, developmental imprinting on a genetic level)

Here's a snippet that should be provocative for those of you who care:

rat pups whose mothers spent a lot of time licking and grooming them grew up to be less fearful and better-adjusted adults than the offspring of neglectful mothers. Crucially, these well-adjusted rats then gave their own babies the same type of care—in effect, transmitting the behaviour from mother to daughter by inducing similar epigenetic changes.
Best of all...for those of you who do not subscribe to the Economist magazine (and you really should, it's $90/year of the best education you could ever hope to get)...they now have a day pass on their website! Yeah! Now I don't have to violate copyright laws.

http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=E1_SJQTGRV

So anywho, it's an article about people and rats, but seems to have plenty of application to the dog world. Enjoy it, please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
A day pass?

I thought you had to have a print subscription.....?

How do you do the day pass thing?
You always had to have a print subscription, but I had read it last week in their tech quarterly and went in there to paste it over here (before Mike made me take it down :lol:). So anyway, I went there without logging in and it turns out they now have a day pass function on the site (i.e., you can view a commercial and get access to premier content on the site for a day). So follow that link, it SHOULD take you to a commercial and then hopefully to the article. Let me know if that works.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go to Economist.com...the homepage...view the commercial...and then search for "Learning without learning" and "Epigenetics". Should bring up this article.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts