Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime next year I'm going to purchase a PPD/Sport puppy. I am intrigued by the Dutch Shephard for a variety of reasons including their apparent trainability, superior drive and their protection/sport capabilities.

My question is this - what percentage of a Dutch litter from a "quality" breeder will have what it takes to become an excellent PPD or sport dog?

In my limited experience with the working dog world it is my understanding that few litters produce a majority of top-rate working dogs.

Please enlighten me. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
If I speak for our own dogs:

When they leave the litter, all puppies are good enough and has what it takes, courage, stability and a good bite. There are always slight difference, but none is not good enough. And I´m not saying this in race or litterblindness, we´re our hardest critics.

If they become the dog they show to be in the litter...that depends. If they´re not, usually there went something wrong in the upbringing: owner doesn´t understand type of dog (enough), no patience or to much (puppy will be all over owner) etc.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
After spending some time in Europe seeing Dutchies in clubs I realize how lucky I am to have gotten Lyka on blind faith sight-unseen when I got her. If you get a Dutch shepherd, you really need to know what you're looking for. I would not do it again the way I did it before, but at least I lucked out.

As for Selenas dogs, well, I dont think Wibo could produce anything bad :lol: Trust me Patrick, you have never seen a dog like him.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
After spending some time in Europe seeing Dutchies in clubs I realize how lucky I am to have gotten Lyka on blind faith sight-unseen when I got her. If you get a Dutch shepherd, you really need to know what you're looking for. I would not do it again the way I did it before, but at least I lucked out.
Next time you gonna want a puppy from Europe, I´ll pick it out for you;)

As for Selenas dogs, well, I dont think Wibo could produce anything bad :lol: Trust me Patrick, you have never seen a dog like him.
Or felt like him:smile: ;)
http://www.vanleeuwen-hollandseherders.nl/fotoalbum/Oefenen 13-05-07/album/slides/IMG_0132.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts