Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions on dumbbells to purchase. I was told to get a set and to also get a single dumbbell that has a jute-wrapped handle. Any specific brands you like at a good price are much appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
5,303 Posts
I'm pretty sure I got my set from Ray Allen. I don't have a comment on the jute wrapped one. I don't have one and since my dog has a strong compulsion/intensity for them just upon sight, I never needed to get anything other than a standard set.

· Registered
33 Posts
I'm pretty sure I got my set from Ray Allen. I don't have a comment on the jute wrapped one. I don't have one and since my dog has a strong compulsion/intensity for them just upon sight, I never needed to get anything other than a standard set.
. One thing I noticed in early trials that people couldn’t toss dumbbells so they didn’t take bad bounces . Often this put the dumbbell out of line forvthe dog sometimes in taller grass. I found judges not very forgiving on bad toss. It’s up to you . I treated this like bowling I tried all sorts of spins . Basically the no spin at all worked best I picked an exactspot I wanted to hit . Just like bowling in practice untill I could toss any shape or weight

and hit my target nearly every time over the wall was hardest as sometimes you couldn’t see the ground on the other side . When I tossed the dumbbell it was about dead straight no doing forward or rotational . Try and get the thing to land dead flat and as close to vertical like a stalled airplane if you are a bowler you have a good chance of being able able to make a “ dead toss” As I noted Schutzhund is not easy for you or the dog. Use everything you can for your team advantage.. this is one of the hardest sports known to man . I look at this small aspect like ball handling in ball sports . You throw a football exactly throw baseballs exactly here you toss dumbbell exactly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts