Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 19th I start a drug dog class with 6 new handlers and dogs and 2 experienced handlers. The 2 experienced handlers are training new dogs to replace thier aging ones. One of the new handlers is an officer from a different department. It's a good deal for them. When I'm training, outside agencies can have any available slots on a first come, first served basis, free. I had one slot and 3 requests, but this department was first. The class is 10 weeks long. When this class is over, late August, I'll be starting an explosives detection class. I have 3 new dogs and one replacement dog in that class. After that class is finished, I'm doing 3 new patrol dogs. All for our department. Now isn't that a way to schedule your work until around June of 07. I think they are try to make sure they can get everything they can out of me, because by June of 08, I'll be joining the ranks of the retired.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Patrol classes are generally scheduled for 18 weeks. My drug class is 10 weeks, although I have a 4 week class available, when I have a trained dog that is being placed on a new handler. Explosives is generally 16 weeks.

Bob, I don't know if I'll stay in dogs or not truthfully. I really don't have any plans too. 45 years is a long time. My cadaver dog will be retiring with me. I have been asked if I would be interested in continuing some work in SAR, but I just don't know. I guess time will tell. I've never really been involved in any type of sport dog, that could be an option. I've also always had a closet interest in herding. But I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Unless you work as an indipendent (you have the connections), SAR will only frustrate you because of all the incompetent wannabys out there.
Herding would really rock, especially if you find someone/somewhere for the correct HGH (boundry style) herding.
Whatever works for you, have a blast!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts