Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen alot of these dogs lately and some look more herder while others look more bully, I have a little info of them, but when did they start and with what two breeds? Kinds of breeds in there lines?

Anyone see them in person? Are they in your sport? PD?

The ones I see, are really nice for the most part, Im curious to see the litters as a whole as far as consistency of the litters?

Are there noses good for detection/search work?

Any knowledge and hands on experience is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
I have seen alot of these dogs lately and some look more herder while others look more bully, I have a little info of them, but when did they start and with what two breeds? Kinds of breeds in there lines?

The ones I see, are really nice for the most part, Im curious to see the litters as a whole as far as consistency of the litters?

Are there noses good for detection/search work?

only seen a couple...I liked them as well.

have not much of a clue what is in there actually. Some KNPV stuff, some APBT, some Bulldog, some Presa, some Bandog...are what I have heard so far..I think Dom tossed in lots of dogs, no clue as to the consistency either.
I know the program has taken huge hits for various reasons, to be honest ,I am not even sure how many dogs are left in the breeding bin...but I know that Dom is not giving up :)....

I'll ask Dom about the hunt/search/detect stuff. see what he says, and if he has any video.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can tell you they all work! Domonick Donovan is the creater, he seems to be a showman and is a controversial character. If you want to "learn" more google them, they tend to fill the dog boards with controversy.
They have over 20 different breeds in them. Donovan bred what he had on hand, and then tight line breed them. I have spoken with him and he basically said he line bred the best mixes which often were to Dutch Shepherd, game dogs, and Presa crosses. A dash of mastiff/bandogs, city mutts, and shepherd but no Doberman or bully stuff! He has an older dog named Scratch, that was on one of Randy Hare's detection videos. Randy Hare also owns a DP named Kong. He has placed a few dogs on SWAT/police forces. He line breds heavily to Tiger (psa 1) and Scratch (psa 1 two times first place). He has a fourth generation titled DP. He culls ruthlessly based on performance so on average I am not sure of litter consistency.
My personal dog is a small 65lb DP, like him a lot. I think from my experience my dog differs from traditional breeds, in that he is very junk yard guard dog like, and rarely barks... very reactive.
I see great potential in them as a line or breed...
Darryl

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
I can tell you they all work! Domonick Donovan is the creater, he seems to be a showman and is a controversial character. If you want to "learn" more google them, they tend to fill the dog boards with controversy.
They have over 20 different breeds in them. Donovan bred what he had on hand, and then tight line breed them. I have spoken with him and he basically said he line bred the best mixes which often were to Dutch Shepherd, game dogs, and Presa crosses. A dash of mastiff/bandogs, city mutts, and shepherd but no Doberman or bully stuff! He has an older dog named Scratch, that was on one of Randy Hare's detection videos. Randy Hare also owns a DP named Kong. He has placed a few dogs on SWAT/police forces. He line breds heavily to Tiger (psa 1) and Scratch (psa 1 two times first place). He has a fourth generation titled DP. He culls ruthlessly based on performance so on average I am not sure of litter consistency.
My personal dog is a small 65lb DP, like him a lot. I think from my experience my dog differs from traditional breeds, in that he is very junk yard guard dog like, and rarely barks... very reactive.
I see great potential in them as a line or breed...
Darryl
which video of Randy's? if the On Target...which disk? 1,2,3...any idea?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've owned one 2005 vice champ psa 1. I agree with everyone else he used what ever was available , a wide range of dogs. Don't think they are any better than the herders i've owned. When I buy a good herder I know almost what I would be getting type and character. Not sure you can know that with so may types of dogs bred together. I'll stick with my herders.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've owned one 2005 vice champ psa 1. I agree with everyone else he used what ever was available , a wide range of dogs. Don't think they are any better than the herders i've owned. When I buy a good herder I know almost what I would be getting type and character. Not sure you can know that with so may types of dogs bred together. I'll stick with my herders.
What dog was the dogs name? What didn't you like about it? I am always trying to tell people how they differ from a shepherd!

·
Registered
18 Posts
dogs name was Demon. As he matured he got very unpredictable . Aggression for no reason. you could feed him today and he was your best friend . you try again tomorrow and he would try to attack you. They do differ from shepherds .
Funny you say that! Someone who has been staying with me for months went away for xmas and came in town tonight. Phone rang and she called to say... she couldn't get in the house because he was acting weird and growling! She has cared for him since a pup, but we worked it out by her giving him OB commands through tthe fence until he settled down!. Hope it doesn't become an issue.#-o

·
Registered
121 Posts

Yes two-great dogs, sport.

The ones I see, are really nice for the most part, Im curious to see the litters as a whole as far as consistency of the litters? Dont know about consistency,

Are there noses good for detection/search work? you can use any able dog to do detection work.

I noticed them being handler friendly, w good nerves. My friend went and bought a Canis Panther
(another designer mutt). The dog was weaker than wet bread. I told him to get a DP if he wants a working designer mutt. He got one and loves him.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've seen the two DP that John Lockett had, Ebony and Nikki. I liked Ebony, nice bitch easy to be around, fairly friendly off lead. Could be fun and playful. Dead serious working dog, that had a very hard bite and insane toy drive. Her sister Nikki i would not get near. Nikki was a loose nut and only someone like John could enjoy a dog like her. I personally do not care for really high drive nutty dogs. On the other hand John like 'em like that.
I knew two people that have spent time at Dom's place, even lived with and and they really have nothing nice to say about the guy. His dogs were kenneled 24/7 in tiny crates. Were kept dirty. And he did have some sort of massive outbreak of parvo i think that ran through like wildfire.
As for working that's all they are suppose to be good for, PSA type protection sports. Not a house pet, not a scent dog though i'm sure if someone wanted to they could do well. They have plenty of herder in them. Not my kind of dog. But to each his own!
K

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah I have one. Missed my PSA 1 by 5 points with her. Nice little dog, fast, agile, jumps like a deer. The perfect dog? No, but a heck of a lot of fun. Social as all hell, and not bad looking either. She's kind of dumb though. Here's a video. No I didn't make the video so sorry about the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw3jXDj-OLQ&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Yeah I have one. Missed my PSA 1 by 5 points with her. Nice little dog, fast, agile, jumps like a deer. The perfect dog? No, but a heck of a lot of fun. Social as all hell, and not bad looking either. She's kind of dumb though. Here's a video. No I didn't make the video so sorry about the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw3jXDj-OLQ&feature=youtu.be
Based upon your experience with her would you consider or recommend a DP for someone else? Also you mentioned that she isn't very smart. Can you explain that?

I kid sometimes and call Wasabi drive stupid which just happens to be yet another reason music was initially put on her videos - seems for a while she didn't know how to bark properly. I don't know what she was doing but it wasn't barking.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.