Working Dog Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I assume by that he meant, he doesn't fight the dog constantly... I don't do that myself... a) can't, I don't weigh enough that it could last, and b) largely owing to many years of studying jiu jitsu, I understand the merit of not meeting force with direct force.
He didn't mean that. Many helpers tend to dance around to animate it.

Elmar told us to stand next to the dog / pup and remain still. He worked the dogs from this position. He is an extremely competent helper and breeder - he has the brains and uses them to work the dogs.

There are enough muscled helpers around who use physical power instead of mental power.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It is not only the stretching and warm up. You need to do additional exercises that complement and help the decoy work in between. Look at some of the things that some of the top decoys do. Look at Marcus Hampton. Ask him what he does – look at some of the videos that he has posted.
exercises like what? I learned how to catch dogs by running at telephone poles with a presented sleeve and redirecting the impact lol... like that kinda exercise?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
He didn't mean that. Many helpers tend to dance around to animate it.

Elmar told us to stand next to the dog / pup and remain still. He worked the dogs from this position. He is an extremely competent helper and breeder - he has the brains and uses them to work the dogs.

There are enough muscled helpers around who use physical power instead of mental power.
Like I said... 140lbs... I'm not, nor could I ever be a "muscled helper" lol. I think most helpers start by dancing around... over time I've learned much more how to work without all that physical and a lot more mental. I'm teaching a few people helperwork now, and its so hard to explain, in person, with examples even, how to use the mind lol.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts