Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people getting with their 1700NCPs? I think a few people here have them...just wondering how sensitive they were to cold, etc. Seems like mine drains much more quickly in the fall/winter weather. And the LCD display is already a bit mushy in sub-freezing weather. Not a big deal. Just curious to hear other perspectives.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
One of the collars we have is a 1200 Dogtra. I just got it back this week, the battery in the collar needed replacement. $45.00 and it took about 2 weeks. I'm going to buy a couple of 1700's after the 1st of the year. I've had the 1200, 4 years if I remember correctly. I also have a couple of Tritronics, they work fine, but just not as versitle.

DFrost

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like that LCD display on the 1700NCP. That's a no-brainer for a newb like me. But I have a bad feeling that it's not gonna hold up well in subzero temps, not the biggest deal in the world with the dial, of course.

I know this has come up before, but David and others, are you using your pager function for anything instructive to the dog?

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
<<are you using your pager function for anything instructive to the dog?>>

Actually, one of the reasons I bought the Tritronic, in the early years, was because of the tone. It could be paired with the shock or used alone. I found many benefits using it that way. Such as, if the dog did release, without stimulation, the tone became a reinforcement. So yes, I do use tone. Kind of like clicker training (oh geez, shoot me now).

DFrost

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I also wanted to say I don't have a problem with anything freezing in subzero temperature. the reason, I'm not going to be out in subzero temperature. Good granny grunt, that's what building search is for.

DFrost

1 - 6 of 6 Posts