Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just thought I would share some videos of me on a training run with the boys. We''re not the fastest team in the world by any means, but oh well, we have fun while we're out on the trails and thats what matters to me! BTW, make sure your speakers are on ;)

Getting the sled ready (Im in the blue jacket, my dad is in the work overalls, and my mum is taking the video)

Hooking up the dogs

The take off!

Along the trail

At the end of the 5 mile run - normally the dogs arent this tired but this season sucked for training for me so they werent in as good of shape as usual

Hope you enjoyed!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Definitely enjoyed watching the video's :) Good Lookin dogs....looks like alot of fun...although I know it is hard work also for the team. Thanks for sharing the video's :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice videos

Its always very cool to watch dogs do what they love and are bred to do. I like the first few clips when they cant wait to get out there and start pulling!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments everyone :D

Lacey, we all get a good workout from it! I run up all hills and help out whenever I can by pedaling.

Gregg, Ditto that!!!! Like I said in my intro, I am a firm believer that all dogs deserve a job :)

Lynn, Hehe they get that way the moment they see me reach for the harnesses. Last year OC would get so excited and antsy that he would start destroying stuff in the back of the truck! *redirected frustration* Luckily he didnt pick up on that habit this year.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Nice looking dogs, Ren! I contemplated buying a sled about a year or two ago just for recreational fun, but I thought, nah, it doesn't snow more than once or twice in Missouri much any more. Well, of course, this winter we got a decent amount of snow. 16 inches one day and my Malinois/GSD and my husky/Rottie had to pull a kid's sled nearly 4 miles using carting harnesses so we could bring 100 lbs of road salt back to our house to defrost the driveway. So they got to be sled dogs whether they wanted to or not. :D That looks like a lot of fun though. I have a scooter and occasionally run my Mal next to it. Is kicking on the sled somewhat similar when you're either not riding or running?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maren, yup its exactly like what you would do when riding a scooter. The trick though is to not knock the rhythm of your dog by pedaling so hard your gangline slacks then while you are bringing your leg forward the dogs tightening the lines again. Instead you want to have the gangline tight at all times and just keep the sled moving smoothly.

Have you thought about getting your dogs to pull yuo on your scooter? Thats what I do for fall/spring training. i do have a rig but its a beast of a thing that is built for 4+ dogs. My scooter weighs 20Lbs (as opposed to the 300Lbs of my rig) and the wheel diameter is 12inches. Its great! Sometimes when running errands, if I know I'll only be hitting the stores/banks that the dogs are allowed inside, I will get them to pull me there on the scooter. Our town is small and quiet though, I wouldnt recommend this to anyone who lives in a city or whos streets are rather busy.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
LOL, yeah, that's actually why I originally bought the Xootr scooter that I did. It's about twice as big as a little Razr scooter at least. However, I didn't realize it at the time, but the wheels are too small to do much except concrete. I'd have to get another "real" scooter with more bike-like wheels. I had looked into dog scootering for a while. I actually don't mind running the dog next to the scooter. Better exercise for me. ;-)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah ya, i know what you mean! Before I had Ronan, when I was first discovering dogscootering, I was using a Razr and let me tell you, it SUCKED! Im surprised we didnt get into any serious accidents with that thing. I mean hitting a stone the wrong way would stop the whole thing and send the back end flying! It wasnt long before I got my Toucan scooter and I love it!!! Could still do with maybe a bigger wheel diameter (its 12inches) but we can still go off-roading without any problems!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts