Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is totally and 100% non-working-dog-related, so if you don't care to see a bunch of pictures of dogs playing (jeff! :lol:), feel free to hit the "Back" button.

Click each picture to view it full size:

Sorry about the quality in most of them. The sun was out, but the pictures came out kind of dark, and when I lightened them in Paint Shop Pro, they turned out like this. :oops:

·
Registered
252 Posts
playing

How often do you let Jak and the other dog play? I was just curious because I was wondering if you have problems w/ Jak listening to you? My old show dog was somewhat doggy. I did not get him until he was 11 weeks, he was keep w/ another puppy and I also allowed him to play w/ my Yorkie. He was always somewhat doggy, he thought all dogs wanted to play w/ him. It was nice he was not dog aggressive. My current working dog is not doggy and would be considered somewhat dog aggressive but he knows I do not tolerate aggression. I give major corrections for acting like a bad ass w/ other dogs. He is very ruff and if I were to let him play w/ another dog things would could escalate very quickly. He does like our Yorke but they do not play. Chuck is very attached to me and does not care about playing and socializing w/ other dogs. He know all playing comes from me. I also have a young female name Zesta who is 6 months. I do not allow her to play w/ my other dogs and she must attached to me and my wife. All toys and food come from my wife and me.

I was just curious about your experiences w/ Jak and how you handle your pack. I keep all my dogs separate and feed separate. I might allow Chuck and Zesta to become playmates later but it will be after they have there Sch titles and ready to breed.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jak (who will be 2 years old in June) and Gypsy (who will be 5 years old at the end of this month) probably get to play together on average 2-3 times a week, and sometimes not that often. Jak stays outside in his kennel most of the time, and Gypsy stays inside most of the time. I feed all of mine separate as well. Jak eats in his kennel, Gypsy eats downstairs, and Jessie eats in her crate or in the kitchen if she's loose in the house when I feed her.

I didn't get Jak until he was 5 months old, and he was separated from his littermates at 7 or 8 weeks old. The breeder doesn't let puppies play together because of them becoming 'too doggy,' and also because he doesn't want them dominating each other. After I got Jak, he didn't get to play with Gypsy until he was probably 7 months old, and then it was only for short sessions, so that I knew they'd be able to get along.

Jessie (8 months) doesn't get to play with Jak at all, because he's too rough and tries to dominate her (and doesn't back down when she submits). I cannot have all three out together at all because Jak gets possessive of Gypsy and won't let Jessie near her. I had to whoop some Jak butt a couple of times because of that, and now I don't even try to have him out if Jessie's out. I'm waiting until she's grown and matured a bit before I try letting her and Jak be loose together (sans Gypsy at first). I'm thinking his behavior will change once he figures out that Jessie is intact. :lol: Right now, they interact through the chain link of Jak's kennel outside, and through the crate door inside (if I bring Jak in the house). She only gets to play with Gypsy maybe once a week, maybe only once or twice a month. Again, I didn't get her until she was 5 months old, and she came from the same place Jak did, so she didn't have any direct doggy interaction from 7 weeks till I got her.

Honestly, the only reason I let them play together is to burn off some energy when I can't walk them or do any training with them.

Jessie does NOT tolerate other dogs coming into our yard or trying to bother us on walks, but has never shown an ounce of aggression towards Gypsy or Jak.

Jak acts like he *wants* to play with other dogs if they're coming towards him or whatever, but he doesn't really know how. He just jumps on them and if they submit or try to get away, he goes into 'predator going after prey' mode and won't leave them alone, and gets rougher and rougher with them. I don't know what he'd do if he jumped on a dominant or aggressive dog. Never happened. I can call both of them away from another dog, though, and none of my dogs play or interact with strange dogs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
perfect

That was some great information.about your pack. Sounds like you have your pack under control. 3 dogs can be a lot to handle and it sounds like you have a nice system.

I have Chuck(working Male GSD) who is 15 months, Josie(Yorke) who is 5 years, and Zesta(working female GSD who is 6 months. Josie was there first, Chuck came next and the Zesta. I got Chuck at 9.5 months and he meet Josie right away. He excepted Josie from the first day and really did not have much choice. Josie and Chuck pretty much ignore each other. I really have no worries w/ them out together. I always watch closely though. I never allow playing and they never do or want too. It is an odd relationship. The relationship is pretty much perfect. Chuck knows she is female but he does dominate here sometimes. He will take his chin and put it over her back. I stop this immediately. I do not allow any posturing. This could be dangerous for the Yorke and me. I would have to kick Chuck's ass if he did something to Josie. Chuck does except Zesta but it has always been on the other side of the kennel. He does get a little pissy if I have Zesta and he is not out. He gets jealous very quickly. I have tested them together on leash. My wife had Zesta on leash and I had Chuck. Chuck will make play gestures at her. I knew the day Chuck started excepting Zesta. A guy picked Zesta as a puppy behind our dog trailer in front of Chuck. Chuck went crazy and wanted to eat the guy. I knew then he had expected Zesta. I do like to keep my pack in order and do not allow playing w/ other dogs. I want all of my working dogs to know that all good things come from me and my wife. We are the pack leaders and we control all situations. I think I have a good system and it sounds like you do too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts