Working Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here let their dogs interact with ducks? If you had pet ducks, would you be worried the dog would eat them? Or do working dogs make pretty good duck buddies? I figure working dogs have been used on farms for many years so it should be possible to have them co-exist right?

·
Banned
329 Posts
If I could choose my dreams, it would be the dogs eating the head and feathers and I get the rest for dinner - love duck, it's yummy

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
Ah some days I wonder why I ask.
It depends. Ducks look a lot like dinner. I have read some sad duck stories on dog forums. (Sad for the ducks, I mean.)

Are you thinking about raising ducklings? Or having one adult pet duck?

I think it's maybe an e-collar thing, but I can't see why it couldn't be trained.

Edit to say that one of our mods had some Shepherd-flock experience in Germany.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Poultry can trigger a ton of prey with all that flapping and quacking.
Some years a go I had to pay for a couple of ducks when I attempted to train my Norwich Terrier how to herd.
Bad, BAD idea! :oops: :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Bob Scott said:
Poultry can trigger a ton of prey with all that flapping and quacking.
Some years a go I had to pay for a couple of ducks when I attempted to train my Norwich Terrier how to herd.
Bad, BAD idea! :oops: :lol:
Yeah, that's similar to other sad duck stories I read; I seem to recall that terriers figured in a couple of them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Alot of people that have herding dogs start them on ducks.Border collies and Aussies and Kelpies mainly.Personally Im afraid I would find them much more useful as part of an all natural diet. 8)

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Greg Long said:
Alot of people that have herding dogs start them on ducks.Border collies and Aussies and Kelpies mainly.Personally Im afraid I would find them much more useful as part of an all natural diet. 8)
That was my original intention. I think there was/is even a title SD= Started Duck.
To greasy for me but perfect for all natural. :D

·
Banned
11,728 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Didn't I see a lock on this???

Mike, get a duck. So it goes badly :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have seen dogs figure these things out with time. My daughter had a rabbit and I told the dogs it was mine, and gave them a shake. Seemed to work out, the rabbit died of old age.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeff,you might want to ask your doctor to change your medication.
and then give me whats left of the stuff your on.. :p 8)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Our dogs see (and swim with) ducks and geese all the time. Bronwyn has shown a bit of a desire to herd them, but she decided against it when a big goose hissed at her and spread its' wings and came after her. She woofed it and charged it a couple of times; I think they called it a draw.

·
Registered
512 Posts
:D :D :D at Bob trying to train a Norwich Terrier to herd ducks! Surely if you wanted a REAL challenge you would try and train a JRT to herd rats...........and using only positive training methods please!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Does anyone here let their dogs interact with ducks?
sure...all the time. ducks, chickens, sheep, cattle, kids...you name it.
If you had pet ducks, would you be worried the dog would eat them?
not at all.
Or do working dogs make pretty good duck buddies?
amazing duck buddies. very mutually supportive.
I figure working dogs have been used on farms for many years so it should be possible to have them co-exist right?
most definitely. let us know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I suppose I should explain my reason for the question :lol:

Next year as I've mentioned I'll be hopefully moving to about 3+ acres, n since I have lots of nieces and nephews and friends with young children, I thought it might be a cool idea to build a pond n buy some ducks :) But even though ducks only cost about $3.50, I'd still be pretty annoyed if Hughey Dughey or Louie got eaten :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.