Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your dog lives outside...how do you house him/her ?

Do you have a kennel and run? Or simply a kennel? or what sort of contruction...

I personally have a kennel, and the dog has an area alongside my house that is approx 20feet by 5feet. A dog owner friend of mine recently commented that this area wasn't big enough....

But I feel if you train and exercise your dog enough, the area which my dog is kept is sufficient....

Any views/opinions ?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Jak's outdoor kennel (which he was spending most of his time in as of late) is one of those 'Boxed Kennels' like Lowe's, Home Depot, and Tractor Supply sell. It is 6ft high, 7.5ft wide, and 13ft long, and has the A-frame tarp roof on it. It's not really big enough for running around in, but it's fine, imo, as long as the dog is exercised daily.

The runs I'm getting ready to build are only going to be 5ft wide by 10ft long.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think if you are training and exercising your dog sufficiently 5 by 20 sounds lots big. Some municipalities might have legislated a minimum size for dog runs, though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Gary,

There is no set size that is right for every dog. If that was all your dog saw every day then it would not be suitable. If your dog gets plenty of mental and physical exercise (which she does), it is more than big enough. Dogs sleep a lot....

P.S. Laughed when I saw the chicken wire around the plant!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts