Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: dog food recall after deaths

Funny...Chelsea and I were JUST talking yesterday about whether or not the food Girl was eating for the better part of her life contributed to this.

Connie - top 3 wet and dry foods? What? Innova Evo, Canidae, Solid Gold? Even close?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Funny...Chelsea and I were JUST talking yesterday about whether or not the food Girl was eating for the better part of her life contributed to this.

Connie - top 3 wet and dry foods? What? Innova Evo, Canidae, Solid Gold? Even close?
I think it's not known yet all the foods made from the bad ingredients. But they are not kibbles, I understand ... so far, I'm reading that they are moist (like foil pack) foods.

I'll subscribe to the subject at Google news. Anyone who gets more info, I sure hope will post.

·
Registered
224 Posts

They released the list this morning. Lots of wet foods - mostly store brand, cheap stuff, but Authority was on there, as was Nutro, Nutro Max, and Nutro Natural Choice. Oh boy....

Glad the brands I would tend to trust weren't listed. Hope no one else on the board was feeding any of the affected foods, either.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts

How sad!

...and all the RAW feeding owners breath a sign of relief!
Too true! I was at Sam's Club and a local pet supply store this afternoon and I still saw a bunch of folks walk out with Iams and Eukanuba stuff. I'd be a bit worried as the distribution center is in Kansas, obviously not far from Missouri. I forgot to ask the gal at the pet supply store if they had pulled anything.

Another thumbs up for raw.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I forgot to ask the gal at the pet supply store if they had pulled anything.
It's scary how slowly this info is getting out. No one I talked to today had heard about this.

There was a long chunk of time between the original vague news stories and the manufacturer's web site with the brand names and the info hotline.... and even that is obviously unreliable, since the Iams and Eukanuba names were in the news hours before they were on the recall site's list .:(

(I subscribed to a Google alert when I first read about this; every update is emailed to you when you do that.)

I hope this is not as bad as it appears that it will be.

·
Registered
580 Posts

There was an article about it in the paper here yesterday. My neighbor was really worried because her little dachshund eats Eukanuba (only dry food, though.) I gave her a few of the Nature's Variety raw medallions to try and a little ziploc of Canidae, as a hint. ;)

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

There was an article about it in the paper here yesterday. My neighbor was really worried because her little dachshund eats Eukanuba (only dry food, though.) I gave her a few of the Nature's Variety raw medallions to try and a little ziploc of Canidae, as a hint. ;)
Yesterday the butcher at the natural foods grocery where I get my dogs' meat told me that he was grinding up more whole chickens than usual.

This tells me that maybe people who were hesitating have decided to go for it in a way they feel comfortable with as they learn. That was my take, anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts

In one of the stories, they mentioned Nutro. We feed Nutro Max and Nutro Lamb and Rice. I did some hasty checking but it only applies to canned and foil packed products. That does not affect us. That could be devastating when you have 45 dogs being fed the same product.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts

The local news here commented that all but one of the deaths were cats. Seems whatever is happening is harder on them.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

RAT POISON:

"A spokeswoman for the New York state Department of Agriculture and Markets said Friday that rodent poison was found in tainted pet food that killed several animals and sparked a nationwide recall.

A spokeswoman did not identifying the chemical or its source, beyond saying that it's rodent poison. State officials will be releasing laboratory findings later today. A news conference is expected at 1 p.m. EDT

ABC News reported that the chemical was aminopterin, which was on wheat imported from China. Various online medical sources indicate that aminopterin is also used in trials to treat leukemia."

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

I heard on the news that "at least 16" pets had died from eating the tainted food. I'm thinking that number is only the number that died from Menu Foods' feeding test, and is not representative of the thousands of pets in the country that ate it. There has had to have been hundreds.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts