Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe we can kill THIS puppy too....
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

How much should a three to four year old dog, finished in obedience, obedience while in protection, detection of 6 substances, environmentally sound, able to man track and do area searches for people or evidence, that is also stable around people COST?

I'm not asking what the market price is...nor how much I want to pay...I'm asking about RELATED COSTS.

Fire away...

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
My dog will be three in January and fits all the criteria except he is only trained in one scent. Cadaver.
How much have I got invested in him is really hard to say because his training has been what I wanted to do in my retirement.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bob...

Just multiply an estimated hourly rate (for you) by the amount of hours invested, plus the cost of the dog, electricity, construction costs, phone calls, gas, space, subscriptions, travel, vet bills, food, cleaning supplies, treats and toys, medicines and treatments, indirect costs (damaged furniture, clothing, stolen Christmas turkey, crap on the bathroom rug), equipment, car depreciation, etc. etc...at the correct "absorption rates" or proportion...PLUS A MARGIN

...and not just training time. Also time spent cleaning, grooming, playing, taking the dog places to socialize, etc., etc.

If there is a businessman out there...please tell me where I'm wrong...

If I'm right, why do dogs sell for far, far less?

PS...Also add in a proportion of Internet time!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Electricity and car depreciation aren't fair calculations because people who do sell dogs do not just train and sell one dog, they have multiple dogs, so assuming that selling trained dogs is the ONLY source of income, one dog is not responsible for the entire cost of household electricity or value of a car, many people who are serious about making their living from this will have 10 dogs to sell at any one time, then you need to calculate how many dogs are sold per year vs. your living expenses. Then there's taking 2 or more dogs out to socialize at the same time, this is a more efficient use of time therefore everytime you double the efficiency of your time usage you're halving the amount one dog cost you.

For a hobbyist, cost per dog goes much higher than it does for someone who has 10 dogs at a time to sell and sells 30 dogs a year.

Realistically though, a dog dealer doesn't make much money on their dogs, maybe $1000 at most after the basic costs are considered, not including how much your time is worth per hour spent on the dog, but just food, vet bills, cost of purchasing the dog, cost of transport etc. So if you figure $1000 per dog selling 30 dogs a year that's $30,000/year (just by example, difficult to live in Orlando on $30k/year :lol:) but my point is... all the OTHER expenses that you mentioned, electricity, vehicle depreciation, mortgage to pay for the house you can keep all these dogs at etc, this comes out of the earned $30,000, and is not figured into the cost of the dog, so essentially, figuring a mortgage at $15k a year assuming you got lucky, live in the boonies and bought before having acreage got expensive or whatever, that leaves $15k/year to pay for car payments, gas, utilities, human food etc etc etc.

At the end of the day, to make a living training and selling dogs, you need to sell alot of dogs or sell them for a higher price that people aren't willing to pay. The average police department pays $6000 for a dog (correct me if I'm wrong, but thats what local departments pay here).

If I were to sell Cujo after having raised him for 2 years and included all the costs pertaining directly to him plus what I charge people hourly for my time, excluding ulities and mortgage payments etc as I explained above that will come out of profits just like a "normal" person would have to do... he would be a $400,000 dog give or take. Have I spent $400k on him? HELL NO! But if I were to charge someone for the time I spent playing, raising, socializing and training him at the rate I charge people for doing other things, that's what it'd come out to. Maybe I should spend less time playing with dogs and more time working? :lol: Too bad it doesn't work that way.

Why doesn't he sell for $400k? Because nobody in their right mind will pay $400k for a dog just because that's how much time I spend with him and because my actual costs were far lower. He is not "worth" $400k from a "how much money do I have invested in him vs. How much profit do I turn when I sell him". If someone offered me $6000 for Cujo I'd rather keep the dog. I would make a bad dog dealer, because unless I sold alot of dogs and kept myself very detached from them, which is hard for me to do, I would have the "for $6000 I'd rather keep the damn dog" attitude, especially when at the end of the day that $6000 is only $1000 at best by the time I calculate actual direct expenses on that dog and that would be requiring me to feed much cheaper food, otherwise, raising a dog for 24 months and selling him, $6000 would barely cover the cost of food :lol:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Electricity and car depreciation aren't fair calculations because people who do sell dogs do not just train and sell one dog,
...that why I wrote "absorption rate" per dog...FOR EVERYTHING you spend on a dog...

...from a correct perspective, the dog seller must include an hourly rate for his time...

This gives a whole new meaning to $6,000 per dog...

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
If you look at how much a Schutzhund trainer makes for doing a group class, that's pretty good if you don't include the time spent goofing off :lol: $35/person, each dog works about 5 minutes in OB and 5 minutes in Bitework at most, that's $210/hour if you have a class of 6 people and whip thru everyone.... too bad a trainer doesn't work 9-5 ;)

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I know someone has to be making money on either green or trained dogs. There sure are a lot of people selling them. I could probably figure out what my training costs are. To calculate what a vehicle costs to operate, depriciate over a training period, Trooper's salary for the training time, equipment, divided by the number of Trooper's being trained, the salaries of the three trainers, cost of the dog, cost to outfit the car. Can't exclude the 16 hours a month of proficiency time required for the working life of the dog. On second thought, I don't know that I could figure out howmuch it costs. How do I figure admin time for each dog. Or costs for me to go to court, preparing for court, it's all dog related and specifically related to training. I let the bean counters figure it out. I know we are well into 7 figures in the drug account, the majority of it placed there by the dog, it must balance out somewhere.

DFrost

1 - 7 of 7 Posts