Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dog ran away and came back home with his pads burned, all four of them, plus thirsty and hungry of course, now he can't walk as it is too painful for him.

This is the second time I lose him, the first time I took him to the vet and the woman there told me that most likely the dog burned the pads himself running over hot asphalt at full speed, he panics when he is lost so it makes sense he came back freaking out at full speed regardless of consequences. I am really happy he managed to make it home with the pads burned, highly likely he would have died alone of thirst and hunger hidden in some corner had he not been able to walk with pain, specially as he never trusts strangers to approach him. Of course I will be much more careful from now on.

The last time the vet sent me to the chemist to buy human grade dressing for burns and told me to spread it on the dog pads, unfortunately the dog licks the dressing and I tried taping bandages to his paws with the dressing but he pulls them away. This time I am not taking him to the vet because I am guessing she will tell me exactly the same.

I was wondering if anybody has had similar injuries on his dog and could tell me what they used for burned paw pads and how they apply it. I don't know how to stop the dog licking and biting the bandages... Or if is there anything better.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You can put an Elizabethan collar (that's the plastic cone things that fit around the neck) or you can put a basket muzzle on him. You can also cover the bandages with dog boots. He's not going to be happy with either but they are your best course of action.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Answer:
You should put an ice cube in a baggie and hold it on the burn for 10 minutes. After you've done that, don't apply any ointment. Rather, dry off the pawpads and then wrap it with yarn until they heal. It's less expensive than using lotion or other chemical products, but you will need to keep your dog from licking at its paws during this time unless you can get them wrapped up tightly enough! Ouch! Looking for an alternative? Check out products here site here - The Best Dog DNA, Health & Vitamins For Dogs & Dog Lovers | Dogurus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts