Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, what year/make/model is it? Do you like it? What would you buy if you were going to replace it? Is yours manual, auto or semi-auto? Is it foot shifted or does it have a gear lever? Have you ever tried to tow anything with it? Does it hold up well to towing stuff? Can you outrun your dogs with it? :lol:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yes, a highly modified Honda - uncertain of the year.
It has no engine(strictly a dog training rig) so I can't outrun the dogs with it. The only thing it has towed is me when I got my coveralls caught in the back rack. My screaming and swearing apparently sounded like a "speed up, fellas!" command and I did go a fair ways before I extricated myself. Just a little musher exfoliation...... :oops:

If I could afford one that actually ran - I think I would go for a manual shift Honda(250) as I have driven them before and liked them. I would probably go with a 2X4 model as the 4X4 ones seem pretty heavy for what I would use it for. But that is big if as all I can afford is dogpower instead of horsepower when it comes to ATV's.

·
Premium Member
21,867 Posts
Lynn Cheffins said:
Yes, a highly modified Honda - uncertain of the year.
It has no engine(strictly a dog training rig) so I can't outrun the dogs with it. The only thing it has towed is me when I got my coveralls caught in the back rack. My screaming and swearing apparently sounded like a "speed up, fellas!" command and I did go a fair ways before I extricated myself. Just a little musher exfoliation...... :oops:

If I could afford one that actually ran - I think I would go for a manual shift Honda(250) as I have driven them before and liked them. I would probably go with a 2X4 model as the 4X4 ones seem pretty heavy for what I would use it for. But that is big if as all I can afford is dogpower instead of horsepower when it comes to ATV's.
Lynn, you just GOTTA have someone follow you with a video camera when go on these excursions! :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id like to test drive a 250 and a 400 -- me being me, I'd like to get a 500, but in reality, a 250 would probably be just fine for what I'd use it for. I'll run by Cycle Riders one of these days and see if they have somewhere I can ride n see how I like the 250's.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Rule #1 - don't take a witness unless they have first aid skills...... :lol:
I think I have pretty much been dragged by most major body parts at some time or other.
I don't know if my military career gave me any good survival skills but it did give me a very colourful and varied vocabulary to use in times of stress...... :oops:

·
Premium Member
21,867 Posts
The dogs were probably trying to run away from that crazy, screaming person flopping around behind the sled. :eek:
Can't say as I blame em! :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I own a Honda 250. No towing to speak of, so I can't give feedback on that. It's reliable and low maintenance. It holds up well to rust.

What dog related activity are you thinking of? (if any).

BTW, I run my dog from a Giant Anthem Mountain bike. That way my dog can laugh at ME a little bit.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My trainer has 5 acres and an old rusted out 3 speed ATV with no brakes (downshift to stop :lol: I almost crashed thru his kennel the first time I rode it), I ride around n the dogs chase me, well, Lÿka isn't too sure about ATV's yet, Cujo will chase it but keep his distance, which is good, some dogs try to bite the tires. I'd like to get one next year to run the dogs n have some fun around my future property n tow trailers of sorts around the property. Doubt it would ever leave my property so I don't need the 50mph top speeds, but I don't want it to be slower than walking either. My trainers old old Honda is probably powerful enough for all I need, n I doubt that's bigger than a 250, so maybe I should look at the 250's instead of the 400's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mike
I actually have a couple of them. I would suggest the honda 400 auto. Very reliable and easy to take care of. I am not sure if the 250 comes in auto. The good thing is that the honda 400 gives you the ability to use auto or manual. Either way you go try to stick with Honda.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.