Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Love to try it!
We've got a 14 month old GSD at club that was in a pond for the first time about a month ago. The dog will never be the same. Thinks he's at the Duck Dog Nationals now, every time he goes near the water.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Dock diving is one of the things I've considered doing when I retire. The other is herding. It just seems like you can have a lot of fun and isn't as much work as one of the ring sports. I really think it is a neat thing to watch.

DFrost

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Those were great. I especially liked the 4th dog that was held on the dock then when released ran to the shore & started slapping the water with his front legs. A lot of enthusiasm there! I wish there was dock diving around here. It looks like so much fun!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Lisa - can you send me a link to that group. Maybe I will spare the SchH club the experience of my dog and attempt dock diving. :lol:

·
Registered
705 Posts
i know lisa maze does it. it has always been something i have wanted to do!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
I've played around with it with a few of the dogs. Most of them REALLY liked it. A few were less enthused, they would jump in the water for the toy, but did it for the toy, not because of a great love of the water or the jumping. Others definitely got a kick out of the actual jumping/splashing part LOL

Unfortunately I don't have time to do anything other than mess around with it on occasion, at the occasional Wags or when I'm at a pond with a dock. Maybe later on in life, when I'm retired :) For now I'll just have to amuse the dogs with flyball on occasion LOL

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure Jeff you can clearly see by dog #4 Mongoose --
that not all ring dogs can do Dock jumping.

geez, you would think that in the land of 10,000 lakes my dog could swim :-o

yes Scott, that's little Tango -- he's a great little swimmer

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anne

In honesty, I don't know anything about it... again dog #4 (grin)
I just got bullied into it by some people I work with on occasion.
I know the dogs really enjoy it.

I think you could start with Dockdogs.com?

good luck with that - and everything you try with your dogs!

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Dog 4 was your dog? I didn't know - I was serious when I said I loved his enthusiasm.

When my dog was about 12 weeks old he made a happy puppy pounce into the river near the shore. Unfortunately he happened to jump in a seriously deep hole. He dropped like a stone & came up in that panicky, thrashing, head up, ass down position. I hadn't got too attached to him at that point & the water was very cold so I just thought "swim puppy swim" and waited to see how he'd manage (no worries, I had a leash on his harness and probably would have pulled him out sooner or later). He got out & the only lingering after effect is he is hesitant to jump into a pool. He does this tortured sort of yodel/scream then after a few seconds he does jump in. He has no problem with lakes, rivers, or ocean I think because of the gradual slope).

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Quote: geez, you would think that in the land of 10,000 lakes my dog could swim :eek:

I have found that if I get in the water with them, then I can get them to swim, and then when I want them to REALLY like swimming, I take them for a walk for about 2 miles or so when it is really stinkin hot at noon, and then it is a lock. I have found that formula works really well.

One of these days I will do this with Buko, and I will report the results.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Thanks for the link to dockdogs.com! I got Kado started on a dock yesterday. Haha! But he finally learned to swim! :lol:

There's a competition here in a couple weeks and anyone can enter! Perfect timing!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
At Bele Chere this year, Purina's Ultimate Air Dogs will be performing. If anyone's close enough to come to Asheville, here are the times, and the place it'll be held:

Show times are Friday at 12:30, 1:30, 3:00 with competition at 5:00; Saturday at 11:00, Noon, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 with competition at 5:00; and Sunday at 12:30, 1:30, 2:30 with competition at 4:00. BB&T Lot between College and Patton Ave.

The Budweiser Clydesdales are also here, and will be participating in a parade that is going to be held on Saturday at 1:00. The Army Skydiving Team is supposed to make an appearance at 10:00 in the morning, too.

I've never been to Bele Chere, and this year will be no exception, because Adam has to work all weekend and I don't want to go alone, plus I already have plans that are too important to blow off (like renewing my driver's license that's been expired since June 8th. :eek: :oops: )

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Scott - your dogs look awesome!

Here's a couple things that I have learned.

It's best to put a mat down on wood docks to they aren't slippy when wet and they don't catch toenails.

There are two types of competition - one for length and one for height.

You can build a rig for a hurdle just off the dock to try to get more height.

Seems like dock dog trainers do a lot of work on land.

Everything I learned is from http://dockdogs.com. They have a forum.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scott & Anne,

Wow I never knew my videos could be so effective.
OK, so have I shown you some of my Mondio videos?

lg

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
haha Lisa - I will have to get a REAL dog for that. Someday :) Actually my pup is turning into a cocky little sucker with a very nice calm grip (until I ruin it...), no reaction to being petted, tapped with a stick while tugging. She's an alert little bugger. Maybe I will have to bring her over when she is a bit older and see if she is a remote prospect. I'll try to see what I remember from the Mike Ellis seminar I went to last year.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts