Working Dog Forums banner

Dirofilariasis

10K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  Connie Sutherland 
#1 ·
Fancy name for heart worm. Thunder had his yearly physical yesterday. Vet called today and said he had it. Hopefully we caught it before it caused any damage.
I went through it with a dog some 25-30 yrs ago. That was successful!

#2 ·
Bob Scott said:
Fancy name for heart worm. Thunder had his yearly physical yesterday. Vet called today and said he had it. Hopefully we caught it before it caused any damage.
And since he has been on the meds, all I can say (for a reminder to all of us) is: Annual Exams Are a Very Good Thing.

In his condition and at his age, I imagine the vet is extremely optimistic......

#6 ·
The mosquito is the vector.
Yes, Thunder was on HeartGuard. Because he was, the vet told me that the HeartGuard folks will pay for the treatment. Hopefully, that's the case. How I need to prove that, I'm not sure other then the vet has records of my purchasing a 12month supply, one year ago at Thunder's last annual visit.
I will probably change to a different monthly preventative when all this is past.
He's young and strong. I have good hopes for a complete recovery.

#7 ·
Bob Scott said:
:oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry, missed Bob's "fancy name for heart worm." Late night last night, I thought this was something different and/or weird. Crawling back into my hole now. :eek: :D

#8 ·
Woody Taylor said:
Bob Scott said:
:oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry, missed Bob's "fancy name for heart worm." Late night last night, I thought this was something different and/or weird. Crawling back into my hole now. :eek: :D
Well, you can probably ignore any PMs you might've collected, then. :>D

#9 ·
Bob Scott said:
The mosquito is the vector.
Yes, Thunder was on HeartGuard. Because he was, the vet told me that the HeartGuard folks will pay for the treatment. Hopefully, that's the case. How I need to prove that, I'm not sure other then the vet has records of my purchasing a 12month supply, one year ago at Thunder's last annual visit.
I will probably change to a different monthly preventative when all this is past.
He's young and strong. I have good hopes for a complete recovery.
I just looked at their guarantee. It certainly appears that since a vet was prescribing it regularly and you were buying it from that vet, it is indeed guaranteed.

#10 ·
In discussing this with my vet today, he commented that the manufacturere will probably NOT guarantee the product because they can't control the online products as to production date or shelf life.
Moot point anyway. In looking back at my own records, ther was a gap in treating Thinder in the fall/winter. In this part of the country, it's said that winter treatment isn't necessary because of our hard winters. We've had a couple of really mild ones the past few years. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Connie suggested that I ask the vet to match the online prices. The only reason I've bought them online is price.

#11 ·
Bob Scott said:
In discussing this with my vet today, he commented that the manufacturere will probably NOT guarantee the product because they can't control the online products as to production date or shelf life.
Moot point anyway. In looking back at my own records, ther was a gap in treating Thinder in the fall/winter. In this part of the country, it's said that winter treatment isn't necessary because of our hard winters. We've had a couple of really mild ones the past few years. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Connie suggested that I ask the vet to match the online prices. The only reason I've bought them online is price.
Let me suggest this to everyone: Ask your vet to match online prices.

The vet med houses claim that web sources sometimes carry outdated or even counterfeit products (which might well be exaggerated by the vet med houses, but what do I know?).

My own vet said to me when I mentioned getting products online that she would match web prices if I printed out the page with the date and price.

When I told people at my club this, several asked their vets about it and were told the same thing.

Naturally, the vet doesn't have a big sign in the waiting room about it, but I've discovered that it's common practice.

#12 ·
Bob, I had the same thing happen to a dog years ago and I don't miss a lick anymore. One silly month in the winter was what it took.

My vet said the same thing about price matching

I have been giving Interceptor for several years and get an annual check anyway but no issues ...

I think it is more forgiving on scheduling mishaps plus the fact that my dogs tend to sample (if I don't get to them quick enough) from other critters leavings in the woods.......and farm animals.....and it treats a host of intestinal worms.

#13 ·
HW TX (treatment) is a pretty easy thing nowadays, the hardest part will be keeping Thunder quiet and calm during the tx. Many hospitals I worked at simply offered the owner to board the dog (at a TINY discount) during the treatments. Obviously (and intelligently) the owner opted out of this offer. Since there are between 4-5 treatments, boarding costs and the stress on the dog will be more than you bargained for.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the support everyone!
Thunder will definately be staying home. Being retired, there ain't no way I could handle boarding him during treatment. Luckily I'm only 5 mins from the vet. He's usually pretty calm when he's in the house for an hour or so in the evening. We'll see when he spends the whole day/night. Nightime around here is when all the action is. Hope the wrong neighbors don't miss his "whupa$$" bark! Shotgun and 00 ready at the back door. :D :D :wink:
I just got back from the vet for his second blood test. They told me it was to eliminate any false positive from the first test. Still, another $130. Better get used to that. :roll:
Because of the weekend, it looks like Monday we'll start treatment.

#16 ·
Hi Bob,
So sorry to hear about Thunder. Good luck keeping him quiet in the house. Maybe a big bone would help!

Boy those vet bills can eat you up. We just went through $4,000 in tests for my Mom's cat!!! Ouch! That is more than a 1/3 of her annual income! Good thing she lives with us and can afford it.

Hope all goes well for you.

~Carol

#18 ·
Tonight was my first night at training without Thunder since he was 12 wks old. It sucked!
Now I just have to control myself and not run the poor Presa pup in the ground. Everyone at training tells me I NEED two dog to keep up with my ADHD. :D :oops: :D :oops:

#20 ·
Treatment starts Monday. Two days. One shot each day. Best part is only 4 weeks recovery time.
Monday, I'll also set up appointments for the two old terriers to be tested. They were on the same schedule! :roll: :oops:

#21 ·
I swear this forum is eating posts today....

Does anyone know when they "calibrated" those treatment zones and guidelines for heartworm treatment across various parts of the US?

#23 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:

Does anyone know when they "calibrated" those treatment zones and guidelines for heartworm treatment across various parts of the US?
Which one?
Any of them. I used to be in the energy industry...fact of the matter is, the last ten years have been much warmer and/or less predictable than anytime in modern history...especially where Bob lives and where I live. I'm not saying there woudl be this dramatic shift but I can certainly see where a few weeks for better or worse might be adjusted.

#24 ·
Woody Taylor said:
Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:

Which one?
Any of them. I used to be in the energy industry...fact of the matter is, the last ten years have been much warmer and/or less predictable than anytime in modern history...especially where Bob lives and where I live. I'm not saying there woudl be this dramatic shift but I can certainly see where a few weeks for better or worse might be adjusted.
The charts are almost moot. Do you know about what happened in Salt Lake City?

Mosquitoes don't live in the desert, right? 

Salt Lake Citywas classified non-endemic for heartworm.

Then an urban renewal project in the 90s resulted in new trees all over the city.

The next spring, when they were pruned, there were knot-holes in Salt Lake city. Aedes sierrensis moved in and heartworm cases started. Salt Lake City is now considered to be as bad for heartworm as Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, Maryland, Georgia........

It doesn't even take a climate shift (natural or manmade), although a climate shift is definitely enough to change/enhance the habitats for all kinds of mosquitos.

#26 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:
Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:

Which one?
The charts are almost moot. Do you know about what happened in Salt Lake City?

Mosquitoes don't live in the desert, right?

Salt Lake Citywas classified non-endemic for heartworm.

Then an urban renewal project in the 90s resulted in new trees all over the city.

The next spring, when they were pruned, there were knot-holes in Salt Lake city. Aedes sierrensis moved in and heartworm cases started. Salt Lake City is now considered to be as bad for heartworm as Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, Maryland, Georgia........

It doesn't even take a climate shift (natural or manmade), although a climate shift is definitely enough to change/enhance the habitats for all kinds of mosquitos.
Is there any health issues with treating year-round? I mean, there's no reason for me to do that in MN, but I'd forget if I tried to pick and choose...I just started treating her a few months ago, right through winter, regardless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.