Working Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
I swear this forum is eating posts today....

Does anyone know when they "calibrated" those treatment zones and guidelines for heartworm treatment across various parts of the US?

Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:

Does anyone know when they "calibrated" those treatment zones and guidelines for heartworm treatment across various parts of the US?
Which one?
Any of them. I used to be in the energy industry...fact of the matter is, the last ten years have been much warmer and/or less predictable than anytime in modern history...especially where Bob lives and where I live. I'm not saying there woudl be this dramatic shift but I can certainly see where a few weeks for better or worse might be adjusted.

Woody Taylor said:
Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:

Which one?
Any of them. I used to be in the energy industry...fact of the matter is, the last ten years have been much warmer and/or less predictable than anytime in modern history...especially where Bob lives and where I live. I'm not saying there woudl be this dramatic shift but I can certainly see where a few weeks for better or worse might be adjusted.
The charts are almost moot. Do you know about what happened in Salt Lake City?

Mosquitoes don't live in the desert, right? 

Salt Lake Citywas classified non-endemic for heartworm.

Then an urban renewal project in the 90s resulted in new trees all over the city.

The next spring, when they were pruned, there were knot-holes in Salt Lake city. Aedes sierrensis moved in and heartworm cases started. Salt Lake City is now considered to be as bad for heartworm as Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, Maryland, Georgia........

It doesn't even take a climate shift (natural or manmade), although a climate shift is definitely enough to change/enhance the habitats for all kinds of mosquitos.

Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:
Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:

Which one?
The charts are almost moot. Do you know about what happened in Salt Lake City?

Mosquitoes don't live in the desert, right?

Salt Lake Citywas classified non-endemic for heartworm.

Then an urban renewal project in the 90s resulted in new trees all over the city.

The next spring, when they were pruned, there were knot-holes in Salt Lake city. Aedes sierrensis moved in and heartworm cases started. Salt Lake City is now considered to be as bad for heartworm as Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, Maryland, Georgia........

It doesn't even take a climate shift (natural or manmade), although a climate shift is definitely enough to change/enhance the habitats for all kinds of mosquitos.
Is there any health issues with treating year-round? I mean, there's no reason for me to do that in MN, but I'd forget if I tried to pick and choose...I just started treating her a few months ago, right through winter, regardless.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Heartworm was originally almost exclusively a Southern problem. My first contact with it was in the 70s here. Back then we were told it wasn't needed during the winter months. That change (unknown to me :oops: ) in the mid 80s when they started recommending year round treatment in this area.
In talking with my vet, he said most stray dogs will test positive now. Also a big problem with the coyotes around here. (Lots)
The river system, in particular the Mississippi had a lot to do with it's spread north. As the crow flies, I'm about 1 1/2-2 miles from the Mississippi.
We've also had some abnormally mild winters the last few years.

I treat year-round.

There is heartworm in Alaska now. Southern California's desert region is now dotted with heartworm cases.

As Woody suggested, data lag behind actual cases, and I don't read the charts any longer. The Salt Lake City thing wasn't discovered and reported widely for almost two years after the cases started.

BTW, the Heartgard length-of-protection is actually close to 6 weeks, per my vet; the one-month RX is to ensure total coverage even if you forget a dose and are a few days late (or to sell more, or both).

Connie Sutherland said:
I treat year-round.

There is heartworm in Alaska now. Southern California's desert region is now dotted with heartworm cases.

As Woody suggested, data lag behind actual cases, and I don't read the charts any longer. The Salt Lake City thing wasn't discovered and reported widely for almost two years after the cases started.

BTW, the Heartgard length-of-protection is actually close to 6 weeks, per my vet; the one-month RX is to ensure total coverage even if you forget a dose and are a few days late (or to sell more, or both).
I do my dogs year round here in the States and I treat every 40 days. You can actually go to 45, but I do that so I don't miss a dose or forget (5 day leeway).

I'm sorry about Thunder, Bob. That treatment is expensive and difficult on the dog. I wish him a full recovery!

Bob, sorry to hear about your dog contracting heartworm. Heartguard did pay for one of ours that contracted the worm. All we had to prove was his vet records. He was on preventative 12 months each year. In the south it's important to do that. Hopefully they've discovered it before any damage was done and he'll make full recovery. The dog we had treated, a lab, suffered no ill effects, so hopefull all will work out for you. I would have read this sooner, but I kind of avoid this section because I'm afraid I'll get caught up in a raw feeding cult or something. (no offense anyone).

DFrost

Discussion starter · #32 ·
David Frost said:
Bob, sorry to hear about your dog contracting heartworm. Heartguard did pay for one of ours that contracted the worm. All we had to prove was his vet records. He was on preventative 12 months each year. In the south it's important to do that. Hopefully they've discovered it before any damage was done and he'll make full recovery. The dog we had treated, a lab, suffered no ill effects, so hopefull all will work out for you. I would have read this sooner, but I kind of avoid this section because I'm afraid I'll get caught up in a raw feeding cult or something. (no offense anyone).

DFrost
Thanks for the concern David.
Yea! Ya gotta watch out for some strange folks around here. :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek: DUCK!

Discussion starter · #35 ·
:eek: :oops: Connie, ya got me good on that one! :D :oops: :D
Until I saw the (kidding) at the bottom, all I could think of was "OH $#!+"! I done it this time! :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :oops:

I'm in the San Diego area of Calif. We don't use Heartgard at all. My vet tends to be more "natural" and says it's better to treat the illness than to put those chemicals in them. Not sure heartworm is very common out here. It's worked so far, but I'd sure hate to go through what Bob is going through!!

I have a GSD and a Decker Terrier.

~Carol

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Carol, I gotta say that pumping arsnic into a dog isn't what I'd call natural. That's what the treatment calls for. Going through this, I doubt you could talk me into a wait and see attitude.
I would be curious as to the heartworm problems in your area that your vet opts for this direction.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.