Working Dog Forums banner

Dirofilariasis

10K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  Connie Sutherland 
Bob Scott said:
Fancy name for heart worm. Thunder had his yearly physical yesterday. Vet called today and said he had it. Hopefully we caught it before it caused any damage.
I went through it with a dog some 25-30 yrs ago. That was successful!
:oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry, missed Bob's "fancy name for heart worm." Late night last night, I thought this was something different and/or weird. Crawling back into my hole now. :eek: :D

I swear this forum is eating posts today....

Does anyone know when they "calibrated" those treatment zones and guidelines for heartworm treatment across various parts of the US?

Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:

Does anyone know when they "calibrated" those treatment zones and guidelines for heartworm treatment across various parts of the US?
Which one?
Any of them. I used to be in the energy industry...fact of the matter is, the last ten years have been much warmer and/or less predictable than anytime in modern history...especially where Bob lives and where I live. I'm not saying there woudl be this dramatic shift but I can certainly see where a few weeks for better or worse might be adjusted.

Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:
Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:

Which one?
Any of them. I used to be in the energy industry...fact of the matter is, the last ten years have been much warmer and/or less predictable than anytime in modern history...especially where Bob lives and where I live. I'm not saying there woudl be this dramatic shift but I can certainly see where a few weeks for better or worse might be adjusted.
The charts are almost moot. Do you know about what happened in Salt Lake City?

Mosquitoes don't live in the desert, right?

Salt Lake Citywas classified non-endemic for heartworm.

Then an urban renewal project in the 90s resulted in new trees all over the city.

The next spring, when they were pruned, there were knot-holes in Salt Lake city. Aedes sierrensis moved in and heartworm cases started. Salt Lake City is now considered to be as bad for heartworm as Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, Maryland, Georgia........

It doesn't even take a climate shift (natural or manmade), although a climate shift is definitely enough to change/enhance the habitats for all kinds of mosquitos.
Is there any health issues with treating year-round? I mean, there's no reason for me to do that in MN, but I'd forget if I tried to pick and choose...I just started treating her a few months ago, right through winter, regardless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.