Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know they've been cussed and discussed on here, but even using the search function doesn't get me where i want to go: recommendations for a good one that's not really expensive, that's high speed and easy to use w/the computer.

can someone help w/link or something? thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I love my Nikon S6. Are you looking for something small? Circuit City has it for $299. I had a Samsung i6 before, I had it for like 2 months, it stopped working properly n had what looked like a tooth mark on the front of it so I think maybe Cujo bit it or something, ugh. But anyway, the Nikon is sooo much nicer than the Samsung anyway, n has accidental damage insurance on it :lol: I also looked at the comparable Nikon's n went with the S6 because it's got a nicer interface n some extra features I liked. I was looking for something thin so I am likely to use it, with a big display, that used SD cards since I already have a ton of SD memory.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Niko...sem/rpsm/oid/147669/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes-i'm looking for something small to tote around everywhere. and something that's user-friendly. are more mega-pixels better? (that's how much i know about them :oops: )

thanks for the input guys!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
More megapixels is better, but in reality, it depends what you are using the camera for. For shooting photos you're gonna put on the internet you don't really need more than a 2 megapixel camera, however, I prefer shooting at maximum quality (i.e. 6 megapixels for the Nikon) and shrinking down a copy for internet use so I always have a high-quality original in case I want to have photos printed out professionally at larger paper sizes. Higher megapixel camera are basically great for print-work, n the higher the resolution, the bigger you can print onto paper without losing quality on the print.

5 megapixels is sufficient for most people, 6 is great and what most better cameras are today, 7 megapixels is even better but a little overkill for most peoples needs, then the 8-10+ megapixel cameras are usually the larger prosumer cameras that have lotsa fancy manual features and are so big that I will never carry it with me :lol: Then the 9-12+ megapixel range is the Digital SLR cameras with the removable lenses n every feature you could imagine from a $2000 professional grade camera :)

www.DPReview.com is a great source for camera reviews, comparisons and information.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Derek Sanders said:
Here is a link for the camera my IT director just picked up.
I have last year’s version and I told him I like it a lot. He then showed me this one it's better for less. :twisted:
Lots of options, large preview screen, 7.1 megapixel, under $300.00

Amazon.com link on sale for $266.00 + free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000H7CZWC/musicso0b7434-20

And if you want more info here is the Olympus link

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1268
that looks like a phenomenal deal. the thing about smaller cameras is that they have weak zoom. this olympus has 10X zoom which is fantastic. most of the smaller pocket sized cameras will only have 3X zoom which is fine if you're right next to your target. if you have any distance between you and your target, 3X is just not sufficient. so if you're looking for a camera to take pictures at dog trials or your kids playing little league, go for the bigger camera.

both my brother and father have olympus digital cameras and have no complaints with them. my first digital was a sony 2 MP. nice camera easy to use. next was a nikon 5 MP. more features, not as easy to use as the sony. current camera is a compact sony 7 MP. takes nice pictures, but the weak zoom is annoying.

again for the price and features, this olympus looks like a real nice camera...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Tim Martens said:
again for the price and features, this olympus looks like a real nice camera...
As long as you have a kangaroo pouch to carry it around.

I have great luck with Canon cameras, Ann. They're quite innovative and user-friendly. For a starter camera that's inexpensive, try the A-series (my 3 year old uses this line. :lol:). Less that $200 and all you will ever need.

Link

If you want excellent portability but will give up some zoom-ishness...Tim is right there...here's what I use (or I use a model from this "SD" line). This is $260, that's an insanely good deal, and you can tuck it in any pocket you have.:

Link

Here's the dark secret about digital cameras. Per Mike, 5-6 MP is all you will ever need (that still lets you blow up to a poster size like 16x20 easily). BUT...get really good flash memory that reads and writes data quickly. There is a difference. Too often, people spend a lot of money on a nice camera and then get cheap flash storage...that's a mistake. Read-write speed matters particularly if you want to take action shots of animals, so get flash optimized for speed.

And Canon rules. Great company, very innovative, they are the Honda of the consumer electronics world.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I use the Kingston Elite Pro series memory cards, it really does make a difference, thanks for pointing that out Woody. It can be the difference between taking a shot and missing the next good shot, and taking 2 good shots. If you're looking at cameras that take SD cards, you can get a 1gb card from Buy.com (who usually has the best deals on memory cards that I've found) for about $40-50, or a 2gb card for about $65 if I remember correctly. Different memory types will be different prices. If video is of concern to you, a couple tips...

1. Some cameras don't record audio.
2. Some camera's dont refocus the lense while taking video.
3. Some camera's don't let you zoom during video.
4. Some camera's will let you zoom but stop recording audio while zooming.
5. Some cheaper built cameras will put a loud "CLICK" into the sound track when you use the zoom during video, which is basically the camera's mic picking up the mechanical clicking sound of the lense moving.
6. A 2GB memory card records 30 minutes of video at maximum quality on my Nikon S6, I think that's about average.
7. If video is a concern for you, make sure you get a camera with VGA resolution videos, i.e. 640x480 and 30 fps (frames per second) so your videos look pretty good.

With that said, my Nikon S6 refocuses, allows zooming, doesn't have audible clicking in the soundtrack and doesn't stop audio recording while zooming, most of the better cameras are that way too, but I bought the Samsung i6 in January meaning to use it to video Lyka as a puppy n it didn't record audio while zooming, didn't refocus, and had annoying loud clicks in the audio track while zooming, so I tried a few other cameras, some were better in one area n the same in another, since video is a big deal to me I chose the camera that did video the way I liked it.

The downside to the Nikon S6 though is that its videos are recorded in QuickTime format, which is a major pain in the ass to work with on a Windows PC, but beautiful to work with on a Mac, I found software called Ashampoo Movie Shrink & Burn 2, it's about $50 n lets me convert videos from QuickTime to any number of formats as well as shrinking movies down to a reasonable size for internet usage. However, this is another step to do when dealing with video and is kind of a pain in the ass, to the point where I almost wanna go buy a Mac Mini just for video editing purposes :lol:

So when it comes to video, there's alot of things to consider, n it's best to have someone knowledgable be able to tell you about all the products when you go to a store to play with the models on display. Amazon usually has great pricing on this stuff, so go to a store to play, then compare the price to amazon n buy there if it's considerably cheaper.

Sorry to make it more complicated :lol: In reality, for the average consumer, "you like what you buy". Future cameras will generally be the bigger pain to plan, because your first camera you will deal with the few quirks it'll undoubtedly have, n you'll start to figure out what features you wish were different, then set out to look for those features in a new camera when it's time to upgrade n then you'll have a hard time narrowing down the choices ;) Kinda like working dogs, you always want your next dog to be better than what you have n fear the disappointment of your next dog turning out to not be as good.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I would like to get a better camera for "good" pictures but the really basic(cheap) Kodak one I have now is great for "dog stuff" where you are going to using it in less than great conditions - this one has been dropped of my rig into mud, dropped and run over with the sled, rained on, crammed in pockets and beaten about until I remember where I left the camera, forgotten on the top of the truck and nose rammed by lots of dogs - all things that would probably make me have kitten fits if it was a more expensive camera. Mine is a Kodak CX6200 and I have to give it good marks for passing the torture test.
I am following this thread with alot of interest as I am a complete technophobe and get absolutely overwhelmed when I go looking for stuff like computers and cameras and such.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Lynn Cheffins said:
I am following this thread with alot of interest as I am a complete technophobe and get absolutely overwhelmed when I go looking for stuff like computers and cameras and such.
Oh Lynn, you are in good hands.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Had my early birhtday/x-mas present: a dSLR (Canon EOS 350d) with 2 lenses (18-55mm and 70-300 mm), a fast SD card 1gb 120x speed.
:oops: :oops: hubby spoils me :oops: :oops:

Soooo.. today I already made about 400 pics, just to learn to work the thing :lol: 8)
If I get it right you´ll see some trainingpics :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Very nice Selena!! I had considered that camera but I realized I would probably play with it for a month then it'd never get used because it's big, I don't even use my Nikon as much as I thought I would :lol: Great choice in camera though, can't wait to see pics!

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
It is a lot easier than i thought. Did alot on auto sports mode today, not manually yet. Had to learn how to focus right (espacially on 300mm) and how fast it is.

This, together with my videocamera, are my "toys for boys" :wink:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what wonderful feedback!!

mike--went to the link (dpr...) was immediately intimidated, but only due to lack of time right now--will go back and try to learn more (you guys are stressing me out wi/all this "learning" business, between dogs and now cameras. oh. who asked? :oops: )

a couple quick questions though: is there a dif between "SD" cards and "memory" cards? and i'm thinking there's a relationship between flash memory and these "cards"--if there is, what is it?

and what's "good" flash memory?

i'm not so concerned w/vid right now, i'll feel oh-so-good just to be able to operate a camera to get good pics at training, home; not necessarily to post for you guys (the handler will be too embarassed i'm sure).

so perhaps the A-series canon? has good zoom (which i'll need), pixels (?), flash memory (?), ......

i love knowing techno-nerds :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Every camera manufacturer has their own preference for which memory card they want to use in their cameras. There's a little difference between types of memory cards as far as speed is concerned, some cost more than others, some cards are bigger than others etc etc, but essentially they all work the same way. I have a credit card size case that holds 2 SD cards so I always have SD memory in my wallet as backup in case my camera runs out of memory, n friends of mine have cameras that also use SD so if they need a card for some reason I always have it with me, it's very easy to carry. CompactFlash is also popular but larger and thicker so not as convenient to carry, for example. The difference is in the "series" of memory you buy, for example Kingston, a manufacturer of memory cards (they make all/most of the types of memory out there) have their standard, their elite and their elite pro series, elite pro are the fastest (unless there's something above it, I don't recall), n will give the quickest speed in your camera for saving photos n being able to take the next pic.

This is an SD Memory Card:

This is Compact Flash:

This is a Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo, comparable to SD in size:

This is a Sony Memory Stick:

This is XD Memory used by Olympus and Fuji cameras:

There's a bunch of others too, it doesn't really make much difference between them unless you already own a bunch of memory n don't want to buy more.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
SD cards will be the most widely-accepted. Mike is right, it really doesn't make too much difference, but you'll find SD cards more readily than you will anything else. I think.

Not crazy about compact flash for consumer cameras like you have in mind. Those Canons take SD.

I like Sony products but I do not like proprietary interfaces, which is what Sony loves to do (think Betamax and then that ridiculous disc they try to put in their Playstation Portable). The Memory Stick is a Sony deal.

Nicer flash cards are easy to find, just look for higher-rated stuff on Amazon, stuff that advertises "speed," etc. and send us a link.

Our business is helping yours.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have to recommend the Canon S2IS. It is an awesome camera, won't break the bank, very versitle for action shots, and stills, and give enough features in custom settings that once you get bored with the perfect point and shoot auto, you can play a bit. I will be looking at Canon first when I upgrade to dSLR. Also, the power zoom is incredible. And you can shoot movies!

Here are a couple of shots:

Power zoom. I was on the second floor, shooting the apple blossms in spring:

Couple action shots:

My fave (not my dog):

b/w:

It has its weaknesses. It is not as fast as a dSLR, so action shots can be dissapointing if you don't focus first. Night is iffy, and the AF beam really slows down focus speed (not shutter). Movie length is limited, and b/w photos can be a bit dull (a weakness in digital cameras in general, I have read). But there is a S3IS, but I don't know the specs.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sooo, sd/flash cards are really just 2 different terms for the same thing?
and, they are mostly interchangeable between camera manufacturers?

so, are there better/worse SD cards (and how does this relate to flash memory--if at all?)?

BTW--i really do hate computers and technology. whatever happened to the good old days??? lol

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
ann freier said:
sooo, sd/flash cards are really just 2 different terms for the same thing?
and, they are mostly interchangeable between camera manufacturers?

so, are there better/worse SD cards (and how does this relate to flash memory--if at all?)?

BTW--i really do hate computers and technology. whatever happened to the good old days??? lol
"Flash" memory refers to the type of storage all flash cards are...roughly speaking. When someone says "Flash" memory they can be referring to any of the formats Mike pictures up there. Flash memory cards save their information even if power is turned off. And it's cheap, stable, and very robust...unfortunately for people like me that work in the hard drive business...hard drives are another kind of memory storage.

And yes, there are better kinds of flash memory used in SD cards. This gets technical quick but just think of the difference between regular and premium gas...basically. :wink: Again, look for premium flash cards that will advertise fast speeds, stuff that's especially for cameras, etc.

And yes, any SD card works in any device (cameras, PDAs, some MP3 players, some phones, even some camcorders). It's like a floppy disk (which is another kind of memory :lol:).

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
More specifically, look for flash cards that advertise something like Selena got...when it says stuff like "40X" or "120X" that means it's really fast.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts