Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I know that GSD's, Malinois and Dutchies are the primary breed of choice when it comes to PS dogs for patrol purposes. WHat other breeds are you familiar with being used and how effective were they with patrol work? (tracking, searching and apprehending dangerous suspects)

In South Africa, we are presently making use of alot of rottweilers in addition to the malinois (still growing in popularity) and the GSD (still very popular although not from working lines, mainly donations). AT our local unit, we even had a Boxer that was used but unfortunately, he would not bite live, he was very prey orientated and did great demos, but thats where it ended. And our correctional services tend to use the boerboel very often for crowd control purposes so I dont really consider it a patrol dog. But boy they love to bite!!!

Any other experiences with 'different' breeds for police service work?? Boxer, dobermans, rotts, bouv's. schnauzers, poodles???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any other experiences with 'different' breeds for police service work?? Boxer, dobermans, rotts, bouv's. schnauzers, poodles???
When I was in Seattle years ago there was an officer that had a dual purpose Airedale Terrier :)
I don't remember what county he was in or their names but that was a cool dog.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I think you'll find other than GSD, Mal, Dutchies etc, it's rare you'll find much of anything else. There is always the "odd" breed, but most go with what is available in the numbers they need.

DFrost

·
Registered
372 Posts
We have had a couple of Rotties in our area. Good dogs in the short game but I find that tire out faster than the other breeds. The other draw back to Rotties is the way the bite. GSD's, Mals, and DS drive through you when they bite but Rotties pull down. If you aren't ready for it, you could mess your knee up. Maybe your left knee that still clicks every once in a while to give you that reminder that you are old.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I remember reading that there were a few countries in Europe that use Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Never seen a RR work patrol though. The ones I know have a never say quit attitude, but I've also read that because of that attitude be careful of putting a bite on them. I would certainly never put a bite on mine. Would have dead body for sure before I coyld even marginally get her under wraps, and shes well trained otherwise. Lol.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hi guys I know that GSD's, Malinois and Dutchies are the primary breed of choice when it comes to PS dogs for patrol purposes. WHat other breeds are you familiar with being used and how effective were they with patrol work? (tracking, searching and apprehending dangerous suspects)

In South Africa, we are presently making use of alot of rottweilers in addition to the malinois (still growing in popularity) and the GSD (still very popular although not from working lines, mainly donations). AT our local unit, we even had a Boxer that was used but unfortunately, he would not bite live, he was very prey orientated and did great demos, but thats where it ended. And our correctional services tend to use the boerboel very often for crowd control purposes so I dont really consider it a patrol dog. But boy they love to bite!!!

The size of the boerboel is a big minus but i think they'll be great for crowd control, probably more intimidating than most other breeds but the SABT is really messing up the breed. I had one a few years ago and she was a 'nervetank'(sorry nervebag sounds too mild for me). Like Pete said those 3 breeds will probably be the main police dog breeds for eternity. I think the austrian army still uses rottweilers and has a breeding program for them.
Showline GSDs for police work???=; I hope they aren't used for patrol work, that won't be fair to most i've seen. If SA laws are similar to those in Nigeria then you won't be concerned about judges questioning use of force on criminals.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The size of the boerboel is a big minus but i think they'll be great for crowd control, probably more intimidating than most other breeds but the SABT is really messing up the breed. I had one a few years ago and she was a 'nervetank'(sorry nervebag sounds too mild for me). Like Pete said those 3 breeds will probably be the main police dog breeds for eternity. I think the austrian army still uses rottweilers and has a breeding program for them.
Showline GSDs for police work???=; I hope they aren't used for patrol work, that won't be fair to most i've seen. If SA laws are similar to those in Nigeria then you won't be concerned about judges questioning use of force on criminals.

Showline GSD's are unfortunately used since the police here reply predominantly on donations from the public, so they are usually unwanted pets...some make it some dont. the police here recently imported malinois from holland but they are nailing the handlers. the training here doesnt suit the dogs at all....very old school and hard handed in the sense that most training is done through compulsion and the biting is developed predominantly using defensive drives. so those dogs that make the training are usually extremely aggro or simply not really suitable to cover the scope of work some of the other overseas agancies have.

My folks have a boerboel. he was the runt of the litter so he is a little smaller than the conventional boerboel, stands slightly higher at the shoulder and weighs about 65kg. more mobile than most boerboesl. I would say he would make a good dog for certain working purposes but due to the size of the breed, their endurance on a track would lack. They are therefore limited to calls such as crowd control (enormous biters and definately have the power and aggression to deal with some heavy weight suspects) or fighting. They not actively used in the police force but rottweilers are extremely common, i would say 40% of police dogs here are rotties. Boerboels serve well in prison services though!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Beagles are used here for nose work. I haven't any experience with them myself but I know they use them.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I was part of the group that trained the first batch of dogs for USDA. Fruit and nut dogs is what we called them. The first class, 12 if memory serves me, was all beagles. I also trained some standard Poodles for a well known government agency. they were trained to covertly work in crowd and respnod on a person if they were carrying a firearm. I trained some Welsh Corgis for .... well I really don't know what I trained them for, truthfully. But they would retrieve any object that was tagged with a specific odorant. I have no idea what the odorant was. Lots of different breeds for many different things, but still as I said earlier, the majority are pointy eared variety of shepherds of some sort.

DFrost

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think you'll find other than GSD, Mal, Dutchies etc, it's rare you'll find much of anything else. There is always the "odd" breed, but most go with what is available in the numbers they need.

DFrost
I agree it basically comes down to numbers. Larger number of dogs that meet the basic requirements to start your selection from. There is no reason to go look at 4 “great whatever” at a kennel when you can go to another and look at 25+. Why look at an odd breed (not a typical police or military dog breed) when the odds are greater by looking at (throughly testing and selecting) from breeds that have a higher success rate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts