Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(that's how you call it right? Send away? Well, whatever, you'll see what I mean... :wink: )

http://www.zippyvideos.com/1216943406304036/vooruitsturen/

The first time I wasn't satisfied, so I called him back to do it again. The second time he did perfect! This time I gave the command earlier, because the ground was wet so he couldn't stop immediately.

We have also made some video's off his bitework today! But first I have to make them smaller, before I can place them on the internet. :wink:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Saskia, nice pup! I had a dog that looked just like that. The dog seems really into it, thats great!,

AL

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Andres Martin said:
It's strange...but I think dogs train better in Holland. I'm almost sure it has to do with the water... :?
LOTS of water! :lol:
Nice video!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nice work Saskia,

The first time you called him a bit too late and he reached his toy already, second time was very nice and good forward focus.
Good job. Gr Rob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha yeah, very much too late. :lol: I always give the command as late as posible, but this time I forgot that the grass was very wet, so he had a much longer way to stop. (but how on earth is it possible to forget that, after my clubmate just felt on his dog because of the wet grass... :eek: :roll: :mrgreen: The poor mal, I have never seen him walking that easy after that!!! You should have seen the dog's head. Not even speaking about his owner BTW...:lol: )

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha hey Rob (Dutchawaii), sorry I did not regocnized you before haha, how stupid. (A member of my dutch workingdogforum... :oops: #-o )

@Hil: I always love his focus on the ball, the ball is a very, very important part of his life hahaha! How easy if you can get them work that hard for just a ball... :roll: :lol:

@Lacey: always put the ball at the end off the field. From there you make the distance to the ball bigger. Never put the ball somewhere at the middle of the field, and make the distance of the ball bigger. You need to get your dog focussed at the end of the field.
Alway make sure that you are standing right in front of the ball, not a few meters to the left/right. Your dogs needs to learn to go in a straight line.
And always hide the ball in a little hole in the field.
On the video the ball was in sight for Devil, that was because we actually never work on this field. But it is better to hide the ball al little bit, so the dog will always go forwards very fast, even if he doesn't sees the ball.
Devil would have runned forwards just as fast as on the video when the ball would have been hidden, but last time he had some problems with the 'down' when the ball was hidden, so I need to do a little step back in training. I dont want him to learn that it is allowed to go searching for the ball.
Hopefully these tips can help you a little bit. :wink:

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Saskia Stark said:
Haha hey Rob (Dutchawaii), sorry I did not regocnized you before haha, how stupid. (A member of my dutch workingdogforum... :oops: #-o )

@Hil: I always love his focus on the ball, the ball is a very, very important part of his life hahaha! How easy if you can get them work that hard for just a ball... :roll: :lol:

@Lacey: always put the ball at the end off the field. From there you make the distance to the ball bigger. Never put the ball somewhere at the middle of the field, and make the distance of the ball bigger. You need to get your dog focussed at the end of the field.
Alway make sure that you are standing right in front of the ball, not a few meters to the left/right. Your dogs needs to learn to go in a straight line.
And always hide the ball in a little hole in the field.
On the video the ball was in sight for Devil, that was because we actually never work on this field. But it is better to hide the ball al little bit, so the dog will always go forwards very fast, even if he doesn't sees the ball.
Devil would have runned forwards just as fast as on the video when the ball would have been hidden, but last time he had some problems with the 'down' when the ball was hidden, so I need to do a little step back in training. I dont want him to learn that it is allowed to go searching for the ball.
Hopefully these tips can help you a little bit. :wink:
Excellent advice on the go out!
I would add that I work lots of random downs completely separate from the go out and only put the two together once in 20-25 send outs. Other wise the dog will start anticipating the down and start slowing down.
This is what works for me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Excellent advice on the go out!
I would add that I work lots of random downs completely separate from the go out and only put the two together once in 20-25 send outs. Other wise the dog will start anticipating the down and start slowing down.
This is what works for me.
Thanks Bob, I was just going to mention the dogs anticipation to the down. I too split the exercise in two and only call the down sporadically. It is important to have a solid down command before you link it to the "send out/vooruit"
Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts