Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading and interesting article yesterday about stimulating a dog’s sense of smell in the first two weeks of life by introducing them to all kinds of different smells since they only have a sense of smell and touch until about 21 days.

If you wanted to pre-condition the dog for possible SAR, Drug, or Cadaver do you know of any particular scents one could introduce now... I don’t' have any drugs :eek: or dead bodies lying around. :roll:

Are there any other scents in particular that should be introduced to a puppy in the early days that would aid in future work or sport tracking.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a friend a retired navy seal who is raising service dog pups and also training them. He is using a method utilized by the military when breeding bio dogs many years ago. I have been quizzing him about this very subject and he has invited me to video what he does to stimulate the pups right after birth. I will be taking a lot of notes also. so If I am still allowed to do the above I will keep all interested updated.
Phil Dodson

·
Registered
632 Posts
Phil, are you talking about the "SuperDog"/"Bio Sensor" program? I've got an article on them, including the steps. My breeder does this on all of her pups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.