Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading and interesting article yesterday about stimulating a dog’s sense of smell in the first two weeks of life by introducing them to all kinds of different smells since they only have a sense of smell and touch until about 21 days.

If you wanted to pre-condition the dog for possible SAR, Drug, or Cadaver do you know of any particular scents one could introduce now... I don’t' have any drugs :eek: or dead bodies lying around. :roll:

Are there any other scents in particular that should be introduced to a puppy in the early days that would aid in future work or sport tracking.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
With all this talk lately of the way puppies smell, as in, the dogs odor itself, I thought this was a post explaining some scientific explanation as to why puppies smell different than older dogs LOL!!!!

You can buy psuedo drugs and stuff that smells like cadavar for training purposes, totally legal.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a friend a retired navy seal who is raising service dog pups and also training them. He is using a method utilized by the military when breeding bio dogs many years ago. I have been quizzing him about this very subject and he has invited me to video what he does to stimulate the pups right after birth. I will be taking a lot of notes also. so If I am still allowed to do the above I will keep all interested updated.
Phil Dodson

·
Registered
632 Posts
Phil, are you talking about the "SuperDog"/"Bio Sensor" program? I've got an article on them, including the steps. My breeder does this on all of her pups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts