Working Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
David,

I agree to a point.The way I look at it,if someone calls me names then its their problem not mine.It really doesnt bother me...I guess Im weird.It doesnt keep me from discussing or learning.
If I met with any one of you face to face,I would show you complete respect..well at first anyway.. :twisted: .

The fact is,on the internet anyone can say anything no matter how much or how little they know on the subject.I find this very amusing.I wonder what would happen if all of us were to go to the field and show our training and dogs?Chaos?Fights?I doubt it.I bet we would all be very respectful even if we thought each other was crazy.But this is cyberland and all bets are off.Lighten up...GEEZ. JMO.

Greg

·
Registered
528 Posts
Low blow! :x

I hate Dr. Phil. :x :?

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Greg, I certainly agree with your assessment of internet discussions. I would like to add a couple of things. Personally, I don't much care what others say about my training methods. My evaluations come from the 40 plus handlers that I have to frequently face. That however is neither here nor there. It is mature of you to be able to shrug off name calling etc in a discussion. If you and I, for example, were the only posters then I say go for it. I can either stand my ground or chose not to participate. The goal of a forum such as this however, should be to encourage those that are less experienced to contribute, if nothing more than asking for clarification or experienced opinions. Or for the more experienced yet not as thick skinned, to offer thier opinions without being personally insulted. As for lightening up, I really am trying, but at my age losing weight just isn't as easy as it was when I was a young man in my 40's.

DFrost

G

·
I hate editing. I miss everything. It makes the thread really difficult to go back to b/c the subsequent posts don't make sense anymore. :x

I think we're having a Greg/Gregg problem. I didn't think Greg and David were disagreeing, and David took the "lighten up" personally, whereas I thought Greg meant it to everyone getting all riled up and name-calling, and the instantaneous editing...see how confusing this internet thing can get??? So, my point is....everyone needs to lighten up and who cares if there's some sarcasm in there??? I sure don't, and I've maintained my good attitude (if it was ever good :p ) throughout much personal criticism...right Jeffy? :wink:

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
<< David took the "lighten up" personally,>>

Oh Ms Jenni, I can't think of anything anyone could say on this board that I would take personally. I took it to mean exactly as it was written, actually, I was "lightening up".

DFrost

·
Banned
1,395 Posts
Greg Long said:
Passionate discussions get personal and sometimes there are comments that are perceived as personal attacks.GET OVER it!Dont tell me you cant learn anything even though there are a few nasty comments thrown in.If I hear "lets keep it civil" one more time Im gonna puke.
Get your bucket ready. There's a vast gulf between "passionate discussions" and name calling. Name calling soon is returned. That soon escalates and people shouldn't be subjected to it. Many people will drop off the board rather than read that. These day I try to conduct myself as if I was having a face-to-face conversation. In those, rarely does anyone engage in name calling. Sarcasm is clearly shown to be joking by body language and voice inflection, two things that are missing in this medium.

It's not that people can't learn anything if there are some nasty comments thrown in, it's that they shouldn't have to put up with it.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Andres Martin said:
Yeah! Jeff and Jenni! Maybe this board can moonlight as a "personals". :lol: :lol:
100% humane and wise application of table training, IMHO.

We all done talking about table training? I think Greg was talking about avoidance stuff?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Lou Castle said:
Greg Long said:
Passionate discussions get personal and sometimes there are comments that are perceived as personal attacks.GET OVER it!Dont tell me you cant learn anything even though there are a few nasty comments thrown in.If I hear "lets keep it civil" one more time Im gonna puke.
Get your bucket ready. There's a vast gulf between "passionate discussions" and name calling. Name calling soon is returned. That soon escalates and people shouldn't be subjected to it. Many people will drop off the board rather than read that. These day I try to conduct myself as if I was having a face-to-face conversation. In those, rarely does anyone engage in name calling. Sarcasm is clearly shown to be joking by body language and voice inflection, two things that are missing in this medium.

It's not that people can't learn anything if there are some nasty comments thrown in, it's that they shouldn't have to put up with it.
Not just that, as valid as that is ----- it's also so distracting. Distracting, unpleasant, nonproductive, and, I gotta add, boring, after a very short while.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Lou Castle said:
These day I try to conduct myself as if I was having a face-to-face conversation.
me too. actually, i tone down my posts here. if i posted my "first draft", i would probably be banned from here.

one thing the moderators and others need to keep in mind is that people have differing vernaculars. when someone is smug, arrogant, close-minded, narcissistic, demeaning, and condescending somehow that is ok, but when i call that person an idiot somehow that crosses the line? that is ridiculous. we're all adults here and i'm sure hear worse things than that on the television shows you watch at night, but for some reason we have to be above all of that on an internet message board? lol...

lou you say you post as you would talk to someone? again, so do i. i have no problem calling a spade a spade. yes, this has gotten me in trouble my whole life (from grade school on up), but that's just me...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Tim Martens said:
one thing the moderators and others need to keep in mind is that people have differing vernaculars. when someone is smug, arrogant, close-minded, narcissistic, demeaning, and condescending somehow that is ok, but when i call that person an idiot somehow that crosses the line?
Good point. Interpretation is subjective. Pointed attacks--ones we can see--are a lot easier to pick up than generalizations. And I can't resist here, Tim, generalizations like "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much" because I have several ideas on what that can imply. Only a few of them are offensive or disrespectful to the people here with GSDs, so I'm gonna http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Assume_good_faithassume good faith and let it go as a forum participant.

I would encourage you and anyone else who gives a rip about this discussion (and I really hope we get back to table training or end it) to follow that link. Assume good faith. We are here in a cooperative effort to build and better knowledge.

So again, if we're missing something...and I might add that more than one of you is awfully good at putting out ambiguous statements that can be read a variety of ways...let's just all suck it up. Assume good faith. When in doubt, talk to people the same way you would unarmed, unbadged, and tied to a table.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
181 - 200 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.