Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What shoes do the decoys on this forum wear for training? I've been told to get soccer cleats but I'm skeptical whether or not your feet being stuck on the ground is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
I'm skeptical whether or not your feet being stuck on the ground is the way to go.
It beats having them stuck other places! :lol: :lol: My TD told me I needed to get some soccer cleats, but I'm just handling, not decoying!

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
In IPO they use soccershoes usually over here.

KNPV: regulations say you have to wear high leather shoes. Like armyboots. Spikes are forbidden, they can causes injuries with the decoy (knees, ankle)

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
Jeff Oehlsen said:
I can't beleive I just used the word "nubs". :roll:
Yeah? What about "f**kled" ? :lol:

I hadn't seen that with an "L" before.
5 minutes before he posted that I went thru the boards word censoring settings n updated them, then I go to his new post with fuckled in it n I'm like "aw crap there's another word I gotta add now" :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah did that 2 days ago, caught a pretty easy to catch dog, turned around to drive him with a clatter stick, yadda yadda yadda, now I'm limping on my left leg, the dog got a huge ego boost n I'm in the market for better shoes :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Selena van Leeuwen said:
KNPV: regulations say you have to wear high leather shoes. Like armyboots. Spikes are forbidden, they can causes injuries with the decoy (knees, ankle)
sounds good to me. i'd gladly give up some traction so my foot didn't get stuck in the grass and then shred my knee or my ankle...

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
We wear Danner Boots, Ft. Lewis model (a high top boot). We train both in and out of uniform, but footwear can help prevent turned ankles etc. Getting hit by 70 pounds of something at 20 mph can hurt darn it. If you are going to go down, footwear isn't going to matter.

DFrost

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have some mid high nike baseball cleats(rubber) that I wear. They are light weight and provide good traction during training. But like David said, if you get hit hard and you go down, you might as well be wearing flip flops because your shoes aren't going to save you! :D

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can accept a take down, no biggie, it happens... but if your legs twist n your feet don't then that really sucks :lol: The baseball cleats/turf shoes/whatever you wanna call the nubby things, look like they would have enough give to not keep your feet planted, but enough traction to not slip when running.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Our former TD wore soccer cleats and so that's what my husband got. Some basic Adidas soccer cleats, I believe. He is just learning how to do it, but he liked them fine. Our current one just uses regular running shoes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts