Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics of our 8 month old Malinois pup Daryl (now named Zeus) who I delivered to the Morgantown, WV police department today. He will be the latest addition to their K9 program, and their very first Malinois.

Daryl and his new handler:

Daryl inspects his new ride:

Daryl is a product of Bryan Colletti's breeding program and was raised and trained by both Bryan and me. I think I'm gonna miss the little guy - he was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Great Pics Konnie! Congrats to you and Brian and of course Zeus (formerly known as Daryl). Seems like he approves of his "new ride":smile:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tremendous Job Konnie!

I miss him already. Special dog with a unique spirit about him. I still can't believe they are changing his name. My kids came up with that.

Bryan

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am curious, Why would you donate the dog at such an early age?? I mean you cant even really be sure he will turn out at 8 months. And thats with an experianced trainer not some cop who decided it would be nice to have a four legged partner. I have been a K9 cop for more than a few years now and I have not met a single one who had actually trained a good PSD from 8 weeks to adult. (or 8 months) I know they are out there but very rare. I would like to say that the donation is a very admirable thing and I am sure that the K9 cop is VERY grateful for your kindness.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Konnie, Just curious Is this dog to be dual purpose or just detection? BTW, looks like the little guy has alot of spirit in him. You can see it through the pics.

~CHRIS DUHON

·
Registered
278 Posts
A dog from my program reaches stages in developement that I like to see. Daryl was at a level where I would most certainly begin detection work. He could be done in matter of weeks with this.

I fully agree with your assessment Joel, most handlers barely have the experience and supporting system to accomindate their own dog, let alone a young dog. However, I have working with this situation for a month or two in advance to make sure the future is taken care of. It is our hope Daryl will be a Dual Purpose Police Dog. In my hands, I'm completely 100% confident, he would be. But, to ensure this with his new trainers, they have agreed to only focus on drugs and tracking for this summer and fall, and next summer start Patrol school. There is Untraining to do with him, as he was not sport reject. They will continue with our system.

Daryl was bred for this intent and systematically raised up to be nothing other than a Dual Purpose Police Dog. He is in good hands now, and we have other projects to look forward to.

Chris Duhon, you are absolutely right, this little dog and his litter mates all have great spirit about them and are very animated and enthusiastic workers. Easy to train.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Tremendous Job Konnie!

I miss him already. Special dog with a unique spirit about him. I still can't believe they are changing his name. My kids came up with that.

Bryan
what a jip. some of the best names come from the breeder/importers kids. that's where my dog's name came from. he was originally "Boy" in the NL, but you could see how that probably wouldn't work too well in LE. the importer's son called him "Camo" because of his markings. i'm too boring and unoriginal to change it, so it stuck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
what a jip. some of the best names come from the breeder/importers kids.

Having raised and donated over a dozen Police Dogs over the years. The names are important to me. I'm not fond of tough guy names. I know my quality, manhood and such. I don't need a "Killer" or something like that. Gives the wrong impression. The last name to stick was "Dibbs" the handler had to keep it, as I wouldn't donate him officially for a few months. Then the name got stuck in his head. Funny, now I here this hulking cop calling him Dibbies, but please don't tell him I said this, he knows a million ways to kill a person with his hands:)

To meet Daryl, he is a Daryl, not a Zeus. Well not yet anyhow.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To meet Daryl, he is a Daryl, not a Zeus. Well not yet anyhow.

Bryan
I hated the name Daryl for this dog when I first heard it. The name fits him perfectly though.

I told the officers who picked him up that it was probably good that they changed his name. After all, in West Virginia, if they yelled out the name "Daryl!", they'd probably have about 50 heads turnin' their way. :p They did laugh at that joke, BTW.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I hated the name Daryl for this dog when I first heard it. The name fits him perfectly though.

I told the officers who picked him up that it was probably good that they changed his name. After all, in West Virginia, if they yelled out the name "Daryl!", they'd probably have about 50 heads turnin' their way. :p They did laugh at that joke, BTW.
"I'm Larry; this is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts