Working Dog Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have never had a flea problem and am so not wanting to put spot on's on my dogs. I use Ivomec for HW prevention. In August my dogs started scratching and I put it down to dry, dusty pollen air. I did everything natural to reduce what I thought was environmental(rawfed)and knew flea may be a possibility, but never had evidence, even with baths.

Then finally late Dec. I had a flea jump on me while I was sitting on the couch(heat from the laptop attracted it) Because I train in a few different venues, my male must have picked up fleas.
I looked at all options and went with revolution for both dogs and my cats. After 3 weeks we finally have no scratching!!! I had used revolution several years ago w/ no issues, even though I am not a spot on fan. The cost for 3 GSD's and two cats was $130 and hopefully I won't have to dose next month. I only saw that one flea, my dogs are probably not the greatest hosts for them, and I've started adding garlic daily along with other supplements they already were on. I used Borax 20 mule team on the carpeted area and cleaned as much as possible to get rid of any eggs. I also use a home made essential oil spray for tick repellent, so made up some at that time to get rid of the fleas on the dogs. I don't like to use fragrances though...
Now that I know we are more vulnerable I want to do something cheaper and safe. Still not sure what to go with, Frontline has been ineffective in my area, even though that is what my vet sells.

Any spot on is risky. I think garlic daily may help repel those nasty buggers.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Im on the Comfortis bandwagon... I HATE giving my dogs chemicals... but after being besieged with the creepy critters I tried everything, baths, sprays, yard sprays, drops... Nothing seemed to stop them. Finally I asked a few questions on here (do a search for comfortis) and a few others mentioned it, I tried it... I used it 2x and havent seen a flea since that was late 2010 (it helps my neighbor moved). I could wash my dogs, pet my dogs, let them swim, all of that without getting any chemicals on me or washing them off. Plus if I add up all the treatments they had.. they have recvd MUCH LESS in the way of chemicals by going with Comfortis... yup on the bandwagon...
t

·
Banned
3 Posts
all right now don't kill the messanger but the ******* way is to use Seven dust. In the garden center a 5 pound bag for about $10.00 would do 28 beagles for about 3 months. Dip your hand in and pat it all over there coat. the hunting beagle people have been doing it for years. when i had hunting beagles in Mississippi (bug capital of the world) i did it on 28 dogs for 15 years (only one dog died at age 13, the rest lived to 14-16 years so it didn't seem to affect their health). my country vet there approved of it, also used Sulmet liquid labeled for chickens for coccidia on vet's recommendation- worked great and dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
all right now don't kill the messanger but the ******* way is to use Seven dust. In the garden center a 5 pound bag for about $10.00 would do 28 beagles for about 3 months. Dip your hand in and pat it all over there coat. the hunting beagle people have been doing it for years. when i had hunting beagles in Mississippi (bug capital of the world) i did it on 28 dogs for 15 years (only one dog died at age 13, the rest lived to 14-16 years so it didn't seem to affect their health). my country vet there approved of it, also used Sulmet liquid labeled for chickens for coccidia on vet's recommendation- worked great and dirt cheap.
Hi, Laura,

Please introduce yourself here first:

http://www.WorkingDogForum.com/vBulletin/f20/

Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
seven dust was safe to use around parrots when I was breeding them(not that I used it, but it was known to be safe)

DE is very dusty and a friend used it on the animals & on her carpet when she had a flea outbreak. It didn't kill them all... she ended up using comfortis and sentinal together to finally clear them from her cats & dog. Her dog was on frontline plus with no success before the C&S combo.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts