Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
what a great picture! just to make everyone CERTAIN of my ignorance, if they weren't before: is your Kim a purebred? if so, what? if not, she's sure a gorgeous muttly :D !

gorgeous kids, too, looks like you have a few more good years left in 'em!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FoxFire Kim Possible is;

a Central Asian Shepherd; a rareish breed in North America; very popular in their countries of origin. Over here in N.A. they are registered with the UKC.
They originate in the 'stans that used to belong to the Soviet Union.
Kim's breeder and a great website is www.centralasianshepherd.com

They come in all colours and two coat types; Kim is more aboriginal looking; longer hair and pointier muzzle; where many of the popular show dogs are sleeker coated and blunter/mastiffy muzzled.

Unfortunately they are becoming very popular as show dogs; breeders are now emphasizing the snot out of the mastiff component and creating a dog that is 200 lbs.; defending this breeding practise by indicating the standard has no upper weight limit.

I got them because they are "yurt/ger" dogs; they were the Livestock Guardian Dog that would defend the home territory, live with the flock, guard the tent while the owner's were trading and travel 1000s of miles over the steppes of Mongolia; so to me 200 lbs. is a bit much to ask for a dog to keep up with the horse.

They are very defense driven; so no send and bite for me; she will be CGC'd, and ATTS tested, UKC Obedience titled and then I will have her evaluated for proper defensive drives; with a little real life property protection scenarios thrown in.

Very slow maturing breed; very mastiffy in that department; she is one year old and going through yet another growth spurt and brain fart. Has proper drives so far; but we will likely wait until she is 2 to test her protective abilities.

She is my second own dog (first was a male pitbull) so vastly different training reactions dealing with a female and slow maturer.

Here are some other pics of her;

1 - 5 of 5 Posts