Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any lab owners out there? I have some questions about the upkeep of their coat and skin. We recently got a 2 yr old ch. lab, and she seems to have some dandruff. I gave her a bath and about a week later she didn't have her pleasant fresh smell. Is this due to her oily coat? How often can you bathe labs and is the dry skin normal or should I get some shampoo treatment? This is my first lab and was looking for some advice on their upkeep. Dad come across her and we are going to make a detection dog out of her. I tell you one thing, she is about the sweetest lil dog I've ever met and my kids just love her.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I've got several labs of all colors. Personally, I think people bathe their dogs too often. The best thing I've found for a Lab is to groom properly. That includes a finger tip massage, down on the skin, in the opposite direction of the hair growth. That breaks lose any dead skin, releases the natural oils and brings those oils to the surface. We feed Nutro to all our working dogs and when groomed properly, we just don't have the skin problems I hear so much about. Our handlers are taught;

1. From tail to head, opposite the growth of the hair, use the finger tips to down on the skin.

2. Brush against the grain of the hair. Removes loose hair, dead skin cells etc.

3. Brush with the grain of the hair, puts hair back in place.

4 rub down coat with palms of the hands. Distributes the natural oils to the hair, makes them shine like a new penny.

Give it a try, daily, for at least 2 weeks and see if you don't see improvement. Doesn't cost you anything, the dog will enjoy it and it takes 10 minutes tops. Gives a good opportunity to do do those health checkpoints as well.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I agree a zillion percent with David........ and especially the part about how that regular handling from top to bottom reveals potential health issues FAST.

I would add salmon oil and vitamin E to the diet, too. It's beneficial, period, with a side bonus of coat and skin improvement. (You mentioned dandruff.)

She may have been on a bad diet, which manifests often in the skin and coat.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Personal I don't really think her odor is that bad, just smell like shes been outside. She comes in and visits often and sleeps in her crate in the house at night. Its actually my WIFE :wink: who was complaining about her smell in the house, of course she is pregnant and picks up on smells and I don't know what will bother her. Thanks for the advice and I'm going to try it. I'll share this info with my wife and maybe me and the dog will stay out of trouble. So I can please her how often is too often to bathe the lab? Women, gotta love em! :D You know what they say, if mama aint happy aint nobody happy! :p

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
jay lyda said:
Thanks for the replies. Personal I don't really think her odor is that bad, just smell like shes been outside. She comes in and visits often and sleeps in her crate in the house at night. Its actually my WIFE :wink: who was complaining about her smell in the house, of course she is pregnant and picks up on smells and I don't know what will bother her. Thanks for the advice and I'm going to try it. I'll share this info with my wife and maybe me and the dog will stay out of trouble. So I can please her how often is too often to bathe the lab? Women, gotta love em! :D You know what they say, if mama aint happy aint nobody happy! :p
If you use water only, or the mildest possible vet shampoo, then you can bathe more often. Stripping natural oils with strong shampoo is the big problem, I think. And shampoo for humans is bad because of the completely different pH.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
jay lyda said:
Connie, would puppy shampoo be ok, is that mild enough or something weaker?
That sounds perfect to me! And it's good to dilute all shampoos first, rather than squirting it directly on the fur/skin, and also important to rinse off all residue.

Shampoo is not natural to dogs, obviously, but I've learned (when it's necessary) just to get the mildest and dilute it in a pitcher of water before pouring it on....... as well as thorough rinsing.

One thing that is throwing me: Why would puppies need a bath? :eek: I've never heard of puppy shampoo.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Why would puppies need a bath? Surely you must be joking! :lol:

Puppy or Neem oil shampoo is what I use when I bathe mine, which isn't often - usually only if they've been to the lake or rolling in things.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Kristen Cabe said:
Why would puppies need a bath? Surely you must be joking! :lol:

Puppy or Neem oil shampoo is what I use when I bathe mine, which isn't often - usually only if they've been to the lake or rolling in things.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: I admit that I was picturing tiny newborns getting dunked in a bucket o' suds.

OK...... PUPPY! Not PUPPY! I get it. The size that rolls in things! :lol:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or like last night, my new pup had a boo boo and peed in his crate and stunk up my truck as well as himself. I came right home and washed his crate and gave him a bath! Luckily he hasn't poopied in it yet, we are still in the process of crate training. Overall he is doing well though.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I get it! I am brain-dead.

I really was picturing the size of puppy that is still being bathed by his mother. :oops:

I have NO IDEA why the idea of "puppy" didn't go beyond that, today, in this particular dead brain.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Years ago, as a younger and cockier dog handler, the colonel asked to ride with me one evening. So with Fido in the back, the colonel got in the front seat. As we settled in, he looked at me and said: What about that smell? I just looked at him and said; Don't worry colonel, he'll get used to it as we drive.

My point, dogs are dogs, while they certainly don't stink or at least shouldn't, they aren't a rose garden.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Would I shock the world if I admit that my, almost. 3 yr old GSD has never had a bath?
He's in the house aprox one hour in the evening, otherwise he's an outside dog.
I brush him daily. Rubdowns as David commented on.
I hose him off after swimming but no soap.
Also, as per David, he isn't a rose garden but nothing I would consider offensive.
My terriers would get bathed after a hunting trip because of the fleas that are often found in the critter holes. Other then that, they were house dogs that were brushed daily.
Trust me! If any of my dogs smelled, I'd hear about it! :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
jay, i think it's an individual dog thing. last spring when i competed in the trial in arizona, i washed out my dog's crate and gave him a bath. we left for the trial the next day. the day after that, my dog was already starting to stink again. all he did was stay in his freshly cleaned crate for two days and he stunk. no rolling around in dirt. no frolicking in the woods. just laying in his crate. i had to buy some smell good spray crap (because he was living with us in the hotel room) and spray it on him once a day.

i don't really care 51 weeks out of the year because he stays outside and i am constantly putting air fresheners in the patrol car, but that one week of hotel living is hell on the nose...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Dumb question...what brushes are best for grooming against the grain of the hair? My Fuminator might be a bit too stimulating....

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Woody, probably a rake.

Tim, roll your eyes all you want, but did you ever stop and think that your current dog might just be allergic to something in the food that could be causing the odor problem? The food itself is not necessarily 'bad,' but something (and it might not even BE the food) isn't agreeing with your dog's system. Just a thought. :wink: You shouldn't have to be constantly putting air fresheners in your car, or spraying the dog with air freshener 2 days after a bath.

Jak spends probably 90% of his time outside, and he doesn't smell. His last bath with shampoo was in the spring. He's been sprayed off a few times after getting in the lake and the ocean (to wash off duck poo and salt), and he's gotten wet due to rain a few times, but that's about it. You'd never guess if you didn't know, though; I'm always getting comments on how clean his coat feels and how he lacks the smell of dog.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts