Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Is that the same as focus? Just curious. Like you said, we all have some crazy definitions.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Confused here also.
Are you talking about redirecting a dog's drive/behavior into something more functional?
ex: Channeling a dog's sleeve work into civil work.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have heard people talk of working a dog in defense and then "channeling" back into prey,Im not sure if this what Jeff meant.
I just "channel" prey and defense and whatever else the dog has to the decoy...LOL. :D

Greg

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Similar to the old saying about always ending on a high note? When the dog is making mistakes, finish on something that is rewarding to him?

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
In other words, your using the frustration to build more intensity in the bite? If so, that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I'm just not familiar with the word used in that context. I understand the concept Bob was referring too. We just called it, "building the dog up". The military was never really very technical.

DFrost

303 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
An example would be channeling frustration back into the bite.

In the old days, maybe after an OB session that the dog got corrected harshly, and you could see the frustration building up, we would get a correct behavior and then give the dog a bite.

Jeff, are you referring to the OLD ways of training dogs in Sports?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts