Working Dog Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
I drowned my Razr on the jet ski a week ago
You a trust fund baby or something? My god you have a life. Travel, doggies, goofing around. Sign me up. Would need a place for the wife and kids, though.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
Mike Schoonbrood said:
I drowned my Razr on the jet ski a week ago
You a trust fund baby or something? My god you have a life. Travel, doggies, goofing around. Sign me up. Would need a place for the wife and kids, though.
That's the beauty of living in Florida ;) Actually a friend of a friend has a boat, so we went out to a huge chain of lakes with him and my friends kids last Saturday morning n played for 3 or 4 hours.... I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to take my cell with me in the storage compartment up front, you know, in case my jetski died in the middle of the lake n I wasn't in sight of the boat etc... well, stupid me also tosses in wet ropes into the storage compartment not thinking it'd affect the cell phone (I had left it out in the rain 2 days earlier and it still worked... not doin too hot am I? :lol:) -- after dumping the jetski off at my storage unit I grab my cell n realize it's 100% Dead... they actually sell waterproof cell phone cases for cases like this.

Now, if you wanna know what kinda luck I'm having -- I've been promising my trainer that I'd take him out on the JetSki for a month because his girlfriends son wants one so he wants to check out mine before they go trade his dirtbike for a jetski.... I drive over to the lake near his place this morning, unload the jetski, park up the truck, put my cell in a ziploc baggy so it doesn't get wet, walk back to the boat ramp n slip up on the slimeyness, fall in the water on my ass, my cell phone falls into the water and hits the boat ramp puncturing the ziploc baggy letting a little bit of water in.... so 1) Lucky I bagged it before it fell in the water. 2) Lucky not much water got in the baggy, 3) Luckily it didn't scratch or physically damage the phone at all because generally my new phones get dropped or scratched pretty quick no matter how hard I try to avoid it.... and to top it off, 4) I hop on the jetski and go to start it n it doesn't fire... because the battery was close to dead :( This happened last Saturday too but last saturday we used jumper cables to jump it n it was fine after that... so this time I had to load it back up onto the trailer and I dumped it off at the jetski repair shop so they can tell me why the new battery they put in it isn't holding a charge for more than 2 days :)

The ironic thing is that I really hate phones, especially data devices, I hate being overly reachable... but I can't live without em. Anyway back to the cell phone topic... ;)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Verizon just cinched the deal.

I went and got (on 15 day trial) new phones with highly rated reception and an assurance that my area had great coverage with digital. And that these phones would outperform my old tri-mode phones.

NOT

It was so bad I had to call (on the land line) and have them reactivate my Nokia Dinosaurs because I could not EVEN get 1 bar on the new phones. They go back Monday.

So - I have to wait a few weeks then off to Cingular it is. Guess I have to read up on porting numbers if Cingular does not work. Glad to have all the positive responses about them in this area though.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Nancy, are you aware of the differences between GSM and CDMA phones? Just wondering. There are different flavors and the type of phone you use (and network) will affect reception.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Othe than the fact that GSM network is digital only and on a different frequency than the digital on CDMA network and that there are still some analog signals along with the digital on the CDMA networks.

It is hard to find a tri mode phone that will match the performance of the ancient (pre GPS) Nokias though. -- According to VErizon, analog signals should not be an issue - service area should be digital only but I have my doubts.

Some folks on my team hava a Motorola v325 that acutally DOES pick up signals quite well - even better htan the Nokia tri mode that I do have....Just checked it out this weekend.....

21 - 28 of 28 Posts