Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
yeah, but what irritates me is that they lump the doberman breeders testing for von Willebrand's, a potentially lethal disease, in with the poodle breeders who don't like brown coats :-x

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Fascinating. I wonder abour breeding that bully whippet gene into another breed that favors muscle growth - like rott or pit. What other effects the bully whippet gene may have?

I am worried that this DNA stuff will encourage breeding for color and conformation - which has already ruined many breeds.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Quote:Many breeders hope this new effort to corral nature will weed out the numerous recessive diseases that plague purebred dogs after generations of human-imposed inbreeding.

So the wolf pack in nature sits around figuring out who is dating who??? Or am I mistaken that there is one male for x amount of years just f%c#in his brains out on all the available girls???

I love how people that know absolutley nothing about what they are writing about, have the balls to throw their own spin into them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Many breeders hope this new effort to corral nature will weed out the numerous recessive diseases that plague purebred dogs after generations of human-imposed inbreeding.
When did culling a litter become politically incorrect?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting article. I have seen a similiar muscle enhancing gene in sheep before. I could see this being used in some of these designer dogs... ohhh boy there goes the neighborhood.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Quote:When did culling a litter become politically incorrect?

About the same time that it became popular to get web cams in boarding kennels so you can check on your dog when you are supposed to be on vacation.

My favorite, is when they say how "special" their dog is. I like to say "special like a volkswagon bug??"

AND finally, about the same time that dogs became a fashion accessory.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
580 Posts
Quote:When did culling a litter become politically incorrect?

About the same time that it became popular to get web cams in boarding kennels so you can check on your dog when you are supposed to be on vacation.
ah, yes, my favorite. I could tell some stories about that one...

like the grossly obese dog whose owner called regularly to say that they weren't putting enough food in his dish (well, duh - a dachshund isn't supposed to eat six cups a day!!)

or the psychotic chow who was nearly impossible to move from an indoor to outdoor run, but the owners didn't approve of using anything on the dog but a harness.

or "I left Fluffy with this toy, and this blanket, and this ball - and I don't see any of them in his run!"

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
So the wolf pack in nature sits around figuring out who is dating who??? Or am I mistaken that there is one male for x amount of years just f%c#in his brains out on all the available girls???
Well...since you asked... ;) The alpha pair are generally the only two who mate, but occasionally the beta male might get an occasional sneak mating if he's lucky. The alpha female is typically a real literal bitch about suppressing the estrus cycles of the other females in the pack and wolves usually only cycle once a year (versus most dog breeds who cycle twice a year). So no, he's not out knocking boots with the other lady wolves because she won't let them. :D

The pack avoids inbreeding depression by the subordinates and/or juveniles splitting off. There was a big to do in the past that the alpha pair was the biggest and best members of the pack and they were genetically predisposed towards dominance, blah blah blah, but apparently now wolf biologists don't necessarily think so since obsequious omegas can and do break away and form their own packs with other lone wolves once they've had enough. The former boot lickers can become kings and queens of the castle. Hope for everybody, eh?

·
Registered
180 Posts
What other effects the bully whippet gene may have?
I just ran across this thread and since I race whippets I am quite familiar with bully whippets and see them all the time. The negative effects of the bully gene are the obvious lack of breed type, but much more serious is that they suffer from extreme and often debilitating cramping. No bully whippets are able to race with the combination of the mass making them completely lacking in speed and also the severe cramping issues. They also have overbites, some of them extensively so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts