Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for kicks, I sent in a DNA sample to be tested by mmigenomics to see what Gypsy might be. I got the results back yesterday, and was just a little surprised. I thought it might be fun to see if you all could guess what she is a mix of. I'll post the results a little later. Here is the list of breeds they can currently ID: http://www.mmigenomics.com/products2adetails.html

·
Banned
24 Posts
My first instict was chow golden or chow border collie.

Definitely see chow.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will say that there is, for sure, chow in her, and we're 99% sure there's pitbull, because the person that brought her and her 2 littermates to the shelter when they were only a couple of months old said they were pit mixes. No pug, though Mike! :lol:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I will say that there is, for sure, chow in her, and we're 99% sure there's pitbull, because the person that brought her and her 2 littermates to the shelter when they were only a couple of months old said they were pit mixes. No pug, though Mike! :lol:
did that come back in the results or what not? I only ask because everyone opts to say pit-mix when there absolutely is not a drop of pit in there-- my rescue being one of them. Not saying that is the case for you, I could see some pit in there, that would have been my next choice after lab.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, pit didn't come back in these results, because right now, they cannot identify pits.

BUT...

The representative from Metamorphix just e-mailed me and said that later on this summer, they are going to be releasing a "Version 2" of the test, which will have 60+ additional breeds added, and which will most likely include pitbull. They've offered to re-analyze Gypsy once they have this test available - for free - since my certificate apparently had already been mailed last week and was not sent to me in a frame. :mrgreen:

The reason they were going to frame it for me is because they wanted to use her picture on a poster, to put up at one of their expos to see if anyone could guess what she is mixed with, and I told them they could. Whoever can guess - or is the closest, I guess - wins an Ipod. As a thank you to me for letting them use her picture, they were going to frame the certificate for me if it hadn't already been mailed. My husband said I should have told them I wanted an Ipod, too, but honestly, I have no use for one. :lol:

Here's the results of this test:

I NEVER would have guessed Bernese Mountain Dog, and really would have thought chow chow or shar-pei would have been more predominant than German shepherd, but hey! Pitbull, I imagine, is her primary breed, though.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hmmm...

People always used to come into the vet's with a stray they had picked up and gleefully inform me that their dog was a "Dandie Dinmont mix" or some other rare breed. Always wanted to ask them how many Dandie Dinmonts were running the streets, breeding indiscriminately. You know, when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses... not zebras....

Maybe I feel a little dumb now. I'd have thought the same thing if anyone said "Bernese Mix", because I've never seen a stray Bernese, but genetics don't lie. Maybe there's more zebras running around than I thought :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rep did say that the 'in the mix' breeds were most likely only representative of 20% or less of the dog's genetic makeup, so there's no telling how much or how little of those breeds there are. I was surprised that GSD was more predominant than chow, though. I'm looking forward to the results of the 'version 2' test later in the summer. I think it will be more representative of what she truly is.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Me too, Jeff. I would be really surprised if there was any Bernese Mountain Dog in her, for the reasons stated by Amber. Maybe I should test Arkane, after all, he's as ugly as a mali!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts