Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I want to get into Schutzhund later on in the future I was originally thinking about bully breeds but some of the members on this forum recommend getting a breed that has some drive and I want to do Schutzhund with an off breed and was thinking about a rottweiler there are some rottweilers that do Schutzhund work is good to have as first Schutzhund sport dog?

· Registered
1 Posts
Yes!
Rottweilers are known for their intelligence, loyalty, and ability to work well with children. They have been bred to protect livestock from predators and guard them against thieves. Rottweilers are highly trainable and can be taught to perform many tasks. They are excellent watchdogs and make great family pets.

· Registered
32 Posts
Hi I want to get into Schutzhund later on in the future I was originally thinking about bully breeds but some of the members on this forum recommend getting a breed that has some drive and I want to do Schutzhund with an off breed and was thinking about a rottweiler there are some rottweilers that do Schutzhund work is good to have as first Schutzhund sport dog?
I’d vote no on this Schutzhund is an extremely demanding job for you and the dog Just getting the right drives up and running is hard enough. You need to learn advanced dog trading The average obedience classes just aren’t going to work . We could spend all day just working one dog sometimes . Just getting proper heeling is hard enough but there are many moves required from heeling log down with distraction , send out with down proper recalls retrieves plus’s jump and climbing wall . Miles of tracking practice . Then proper basic protection . Just because the dog is big and strong does not make it a good dog for the work . Both the dire and the dam of my GSD were SCH3 and came drone a long line of Schutzhund dogs . I consider my dog as once in a lifetime dog . I had to match the dog drives day in day out you really have to eat live and sleep the sport it’s much like being an athlete I was a swimmer in middle school high school and college , plus I played baseball football and hockey untill I was 72 never the best player but always first on the field last off the field . As for bully breeds I don’t think I ever saw a bully breed get more than weak Sch1 I did get to work with a world champ Rottie and trainer soi got to see the best of Rotties .
I don’t even like to recommend getting started unless you have a deep pocket book and plan on the best of dogs probably 10 grand or more . I’d say attend as many Sch and IPO events as you can maybe try and see some ring sport . A very good Mal is a lot of dog and will be a huge challenge itself. Here is a good one we trialed in a down pour one weekend my dog was near perfect in tracking he downed in a pool of water on the tracking field with the arrival almost dead centered between his front paws. I was soaked to the bone . My dog didn’t even shake off the water when he continued the track . He never missed a step or article . That’s the drive both you and the dog need . For retrieves you need to be able to toss the heavy dumb bell perfectly so it doesn’t take a bad bounce . This means practice all weather just throwing them I saw so many poor retrieves because the dumb bell took a bad roll. The dog needs to go straight to it not be looking around for it . The better your obedience is the better everything else is .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts