Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
German Shepherd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At about 9 months old, my dog became somewhat reactive to other dogs. He was in more of a "personal protection" program with a local trainer. We did this for a year from the age of 3 1/2 months to about 16 months of age. He is now 2 years 3 months old.

I learned from a friend about a Schutzhund trainer in my area (about 1 hour away), and began going to this. My dog is pretty excitable, but he was only about 16 months when we started with this new trainer. He took him into a board and train for a month. He came out knowing "don't" (leave it), in addition to the other commands he already knew. But this trainer said it wasn't fair to teach my dog not to be aggressive using other clients' dogs.

So my dog ran out onto the sidewalk from our shop and jumped on a dog being walked down the street by his owner. He didn't bite. But obviously it created a scene and I was mortified.

I now have my dog with a different trainer who teaches Working Dogs of America-style work. He is much harder on my dog. My dog is behaving better, I must admit. But he said my dog would not be able to do Schutzhund because of the off-leash aspect of the BH, although in a trial run of the OB for WDA he did everything off-leash perfectly. But then later he ran at the fence at a puppy, barking, and would not come to me.

I can walk him in Home Depot, sometimes there are barking/lunging incidents with dogs (which I correct), and other times there are none with the dogs we encounter. I can walk him on the river trails with other dogs without incident. But sit with him at a table and drink a coffee....he does not like the other dogs walking by and will get up and bark. He does not fence fight with the other dogs around my home (and the fences are see-through). He did not argue with the dogs in the kennels next to him while in board and train.

I can see a lot of growth and his ability to NOT be reactive. I just seems a bit hit or miss. But no one is really willing to help me help HIM with the specific aspects of getting a BH. What shall I do?

Is doing Schutzhund a lost cause? Is there more I can do on my own, other than continuing to walk him around other dogs?

· Registered
2 Posts
At about 9 months old, my dog became somewhat reactive to other dogs. He was in more of a "personal protection" program with a local trainer. We did this for a year from the age of 3 1/2 months to about 16 months of age. He is now 2 years 3 months old.

I learned from a friend about a Schutzhund trainer in my area (about 1 hour away), and began going to this. My dog is pretty excitable, but he was only about 16 months when we started with this new trainer. He took him into a board and train for a month. He came out knowing "don't" (leave it), in addition to the other commands he already knew. But this trainer said it wasn't fair to teach my dog not to be aggressive using other clients' dogs.

So my dog ran out onto the sidewalk from our shop and jumped on a dog being walked down the street by his owner. He didn't bite. But obviously it created a scene and I was mortified.

I now have my dog with a different trainer who teaches Working Dogs of America-style work. He is much harder on my dog. My dog is behaving better, I must admit. But he said my dog would not be able to do Schutzhund because of the off-leash aspect of the BH, although in a trial run of the OB for WDA he did everything off-leash perfectly. But then later he ran at the fence at a puppy, barking, and would not come to me.

I can walk him in Home Depot, sometimes there are barking/lunging incidents with dogs (which I correct), and other times there are none with the dogs we encounter. I can walk him on the river trails with other dogs without incident. But sit with him at a table and drink a coffee....he does not like the other dogs walking by and will get up and bark. He does not fence fight with the other dogs around my home (and the fences are see-through). He did not argue with the dogs in the kennels next to him while in board and train.

I can see a lot of growth and his ability to NOT be reactive. I just seems a bit hit or miss. But no one is really willing to help me help HIM with the specific aspects of getting a BH. What shall I do?

Is doing Schutzhund a lost cause? Is there more I can do on my own, other than continuing to walk him around other dogs?
Every dog is different. We are just starting BH also. My Czech import GSD can have a tendency to be a bit reactive. I am pretty firm on him though and now he won't react unless another dog gets agitated at him.

I simply don't let him go off on other dogs (corrections). When he complies, I immediately reward with his ball on a rope of tug. He is getting MUCH better and seems to understand my expectations. When we walk by another dog and he has been calm, he has started to look up at me "where's my ball?". May I suggest that you take a look at ShieldK9 on Youtube. He is an amazing working dog trainer and has a great online program for about $300. I've learned a lot from this guy.

· Registered
German Shepherd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every dog is different. We are just starting BH also. My Czech import GSD can have a tendency to be a bit reactive. I am pretty firm on him though and now he won't react unless another dog gets agitated at him.

I simply don't let him go off on other dogs (corrections). When he complies, I immediately reward with his ball on a rope of tug. He is getting MUCH better and seems to understand my expectations. When we walk by another dog and he has been calm, he has started to look up at me "where's my ball?". May I suggest that you take a look at ShieldK9 on Youtube. He is an amazing working dog trainer and has a great online program for about $300. I've learned a lot from this guy.
Thank you for this. I will look into ShieldK9. I actually do watch their stuff on Youtube but have never purchased anything.

I actually put my boy in a second board and train. He lunged after a Dutch Shep in training and when I went to correct him, he bit me. It was not an "attack," but a "no, I don't want to be corrected!" It drew blood.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hmm.. he is redirecting on you. My wife corrected our boy one time (prong collar) and he growled at her. Be careful. The reactivity to other dogs is one thing … he is so jacked up, he doesn’t know what he is doing. Again, be careful, because if there is an issue with you as a handler, it is likely indicative of a “pack-rank” issue. I had to have my wife completely change the way she interacted with him.. note: he would NEVER protest growl at me. It can be scary though. Sounds like you have a hard, and maybe dominant dog. I hope your trainers have experience with higher drive working dogs. They are very different. He may love you, but he may not respect you.

· Registered
33 Posts

I’ve probably said it before . I don’t do any protection or even K 9 work anymore in fact I usual don’t even respond to requests or thoughts . Protection training SCH IPO and ring sports are all about obedience and control. It’s hard to retrain an antisocial dog that has been allowed to get away with anti social behavior . I likedcthevobediencectrainerbwecwent tobas most of the class time we were heeling our dogs in and around all the other dogs in the class dogs often bumped into each other met each other head on or follow nose to tear ends We had a sit quietly time of about 5-10 minutes no barking or rough housing no playing around . Whe it was time to go all dogs lined up and went past each other then reformed on the outside and did it again . When I did SCH there was always a couple dogs in long down on the field mine included even protection work was done with other dogs around . Pelt dogs were just ignored . Nothing good nothing bad so the dogs learned there was no action for them and it was best to remain calm . Then they got rewards and praise I never liked hard force training especially e collar . We used tables they were and still are extremely contaversial. However proper use with no ego present they can work . I don’t even want to get into this mess today .
we trained recalls endlessly along with retrieves walls and jumps we did heeling exercises untill we were all worn out. Once the dog learned commands were given only once things smoothed out training was an all day thing . When I got to go over to Europe I visited every dog club I could . This is the way they worked. So I brought this back . An hour long standard obedience class just isn’t going to go very far if you don’t follow through .

· Registered
33 Posts
I’ve probably said it before . I don’t do any protection or even K 9 work anymore in fact I usual don’t even respond to requests or thoughts . Protection training SCH IPO and ring sports are all about obedience and control. It’s hard to retrain an antisocial dog that has been allowed to get away with anti social behavior . I likedcthevobediencectrainerbwecwent tobas most of the class time we were heeling our dogs in and around all the other dogs in the class dogs often bumped into each other met each other head on or follow nose to tear ends We had a sit quietly time of about 5-10 minutes no barking or rough housing no playing around . Whe it was time to go all dogs lined up and went past each other then reformed on the outside and did it again . When I did SCH there was always a couple dogs in long down on the field mine included even protection work was done with other dogs around . Pelt dogs were just ignored . Nothing good nothing bad so the dogs learned there was no action for them and it was best to remain calm . Then they got rewards and praise I never liked hard force training especially e collar . We used tables they were and still are extremely contaversial. However proper use with no ego present they can work . I don’t even want to get into this mess today .
we trained recalls endlessly along with retrieves walls and jumps we did heeling exercises untill we were all worn out. Once the dog learned commands were given only once things smoothed out training was an all day thing . When I got to go over to Europe I visited every dog club I could . This is the way they worked. So I brought this back . An hour long standard obedience class just isn’t going to go very far if you don’t follow through .
Sorry spell check did it again please try and read through the mess look for overall content .

· Registered
33 Posts
Sorry spell check did it again please try and read through the mess look for overall content .
one ofvthe better obedience class we heeled in a circle then the trainer said “traffic jam were then turned 90 deg and all met in the middle of the room people and dogs bumped into each other much action happened pretty fast so dogs didn’t really get time to focus on anyting but heeling with handler . This was done many times during a class there were a few reactive dogs but I YHINK they dimly were over powered before they could react . After the first couple training days most dogs seemed to look forward to intermingling we separated a fewcdogs so they could just watch. There was so much movement going on that dogs were looking everywhere . By the end of the lesson block everyone was pretty calm no matter what the exercise . We even did recall in later more advance classes so the dog had to find his handler . Most dogs just ignored others and got on with the exercise

· Registered
33 Posts
The issue is socialization early on I loved this “ traffic jamb exercise. It was fun just watching other dogs dodging each other with no barking or rough housing a lot of training was done with the other dogs around bike and bell or horn yelling pass on right and so on Jumps with another or a group of dogs close by watching heeling past dog on long down even doing protection almost everything was done with other dogs and people around . Sometime a barkyvterrier might be in the group getting his training work while heeling a pattern or practicing retrieves. Some times you need a little negative corrections but nothing hard or forced always be ready with reward for correctness

1 - 12 of 12 Posts